[NFBNJ] REFORWARDED Hospital Visitation Policies Exclude Caregivers of People with Disabilities & What We're Doing To Change It

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 14 21:45:42 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
Please review the reforwarded email message received from Pamela  Gaston, NJ
CBVI.
I didforward a few days ago however, there was no wording in the body.
Please share with others.
Joe

---

Subject: Hospital Visitation Policies Exclude Caregivers of People with
Disabilities & What We're Doing To Change It

In a letter sent over the weekend to Judith M. Persichilli, Commissioner of
New Jersey Department of Health, and including Governor Phil Murphy,
Disability Rights New Jersey addressed the concerns of individuals with
disabilities, and their families, where hospitalization is necessary during
the COVID-19 crisis.

In many cases, it is critical for a support person such as a family
member/loved one, guardian, DSP, PCA to accompany individuals with
disabilities during hospitalization, due to communication or behavioral
limitations. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of
the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA),
it is their civil right to have reasonable accommodations, including a
support person, even during a pandemic.

Hospitals across the state of New Jersey, however, are each developing their
own visitation policies, and in some cases, excluding guardians and
caregivers of people with disabilities from participation in their care in
order to mitigate the spread of the virus.

Executive Director, Gwen Orlowski, of Disability Rights New Jersey, proposed
that New Jersey immediately issue a directive stating that hospital
visitation policies barring visitors include an exception for patients with
disabilities who need assistance due to the specifics of their disability.
To ease the burden on the designated support person, she recommended an
allowance of two support persons, with only one present at a time, during
hospitalization.

Disability Rights New Jersey looks forward to timely and specific guidance
from the Commissioner that reinforces the rights of people with disabilities
in a hospital You can read the full letter to the Department of Health, by
clicking the image above.

April 11, 2020
Commissioner Judith Persichilli
New Jersey Department of Health
369 South Warren Street
Trenton, New Jersey 08608
Via scanned email to Judith.Persichilli at doh.nj.gov
Re: Hospital Visitation Policies for Individuals with Disabilities

Dear Commissioner Persichilli: I write on behalf of Disability Rights New
Jersey (DRNJ), the state designated protection and advocacy agency. DRNJ
urges the Department of Health to adopt a statewide policy on hospital
visitors during the COVID-19 emergency that includes exceptions for people
with disabilities who may require a support person to stay with them during
emergency room visits and hospitalizations. At the present time, New Jersey
hospitals each are developing their own visitor policies, and in some cases,
those policies exclude guardians and caregivers of people with disabilities
from participation in their care. Individuals with disabilities who need
communication or behavioral supports in hospital situations retain their
rights to reasonable accommodations under federal law, including the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation
Act, and Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), even in a pandemic.
To assist the Department, DRNJ reviewed several polices from various states
and hospitals. We propose that New Jersey immediately issue a directive
stating that hospital visitation policies barring visitors must include an
exception with language similar to the following: Patients with disabilities
who need assistance due to the specifics of their disability may have one
designated support person with them. This could include specific needs due
to altered mental status, intellectual or cognitive disability,
communication barriers or behavioral concerns. If a patient with a
disability requires an accommodation that involves the presence of a family
member, personal care assistant or similar disability service provider,
knowledgeable about the management of their care, to physically or
emotionally assist them during their hospitalization, this will be allowed
with proper precautions taken to contain the spread of infection. (See Rush
University Medical Center policy found at
https://www.rush.edu/patientsvisitors/covid-19-resources/rush-coronavirus-covid-19-patient-and-visitor-updates)
To ease the burden on the designated support person, we recommend that the
policy allow the individual with disabilities to designate two support
people but allow only one support person to be present at a time, consistent
with the New York State Policy which can be found at
https://opwdd.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/04/doh_covid19_hospitalvisitation_4.10.
20.pdf. Disability Rights New Jersey is appreciative of the tireless work of
the Department of Health, as well as all state agencies in this emergency �
thank you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gorlowski at drnj.org or
(609) 292-9742 if you have questions regarding this matter or would like
additional information. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
/s/ Gwen Orlowski Gwen Orlowski Executive Director

People with Disabilities & What We're Doing To Change It

    Greetings Pamela!
If you still have, please resend.
For some reason, when I forwarded the body was missing, only had the head
and feet!  GRIN!

Joe

----
: joe ruffalo