[NFBNJ] Voting Article With Linda Melendez Lou Ann Blake and Mary Ciccone

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 1 22:35:31 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
I received the following article pertaining to the problems voting
independently.

Please share with others.

Note: We continue to work on the federal and state levels to provide true
independent voting.
Again, thanks, Linda, Lou Ann and Mary.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

From: Linda Melendez

Greetings Joe,

Listed below is an article I wanted to share with you from NorthJersey.com
regarding accessible voting in New Jersey. They interviewed myself, Mary
Ciccone and Louann Blake from our national headquarters.

Warmly,

Linda Melendez, 1st Vice President

National Federation of the blind of New Jersey

732421 7063

lindamelendez220 at gmsil.com

****

Blind NJ residents are denied private, independent votes in 2020 election,
advocates say

Gene Myers NorthJersey.com

Linda Melendez would like to vote like everyone else: privately and
independently.

Being blind, she can fill out a ballot online using a screen reader. But
then she has to print it and sign it — and she's back to square one.

“If you don’t know where to sign on the ballot you’re out of luck,” said
Melendez, a Monmouth County resident who lost her sight 20 years ago. “I
have to ask somebody with sight to help me.”

Blind voters are frustrated. They can't vote using this year's paper
ballots, and their only other option is to use outdated, confusing audio
devices that poll workers often don’t know how to attach to voting machines.

Voting is not accessible to blind voters and voters with vision loss,
advocates said.

Mary Ciccone, director of policy at Disability Rights New Jersey, said the
audio devices, which connect to the voting machines to read ballots to
voters wearing headphones, are the most common problem she sees when it
comes to making voting accessible.

Some of them are so old they still use audiocassettes, and the majority are
awkward to handle and confusing to use, advocates said.

They are intended to make voting easier, but in reality they are “difficult
to use” and “not intuitive,” she said. Furthermore, poll workers often don’t
know how to set them up.

She could 'feel the daggers'

Melendez had her son sit on her lap and help her vote for years. But one day
she got fed up. Her son was older and in the army, and she decided she had
the right to vote on her own.

She called ahead and told poll workers she was coming, and would need the
machine that made it possible for blind people to vote.

“When I walked in they saw the cane and said, ‘Do you need assistance
voting?’ I said, ‘No, I just need you to set up the equipment for me,” she
said.

The poll worker made “an audible sigh,” said Melendez. “I said I called
ahead and they were snotty and snippy with me. I heard the person call the
county and I heard the other person on the phone say, ‘Can’t you just help
her vote?’”

The county wanted the poll worker to go into a booth and make selections for
Melendez, she said.

“I heard it and just said, ‘Tell her no because I wish to exercise my
privilege as a citizen to vote independently and privately,” said Melendez.

They continued to try to urge her to accept assistance, but Melendez stood
her ground. She was “adamant “about her right to vote independently and
privately.” All the while the line behind her grew and Melendez “could feel
the daggers” of people staring at her while she made a scene.

Department of State staff members did not return requests for comments.

Instances like this have grown through the years, said Lou Ann Blake,
director of research programs at the National Federation of the Blind in
Maryland.

“It’s a huge problem that we face,” Blake said. “You get to the polling
place and the machine is not set up and it’s not set up because they don’t
know how to set it up and operate it. We’ve been doing a survey for blind
voters in presidential elections since 2008 and this issue has gotten worse
over the years. In 2016, our last poll, one third of the voters said poll
workers didn’t know how to set up or operate the machine. That is a huge
problem.”

The right to vote

Ciccone has put a lot of time into working with election officials to make
the voting process accessible. She rarely gets calls about polling sites
that are not physically accessible. There are usually ramps. Even accessible
parking is less of a problem these days. Voters who need blue spaces often
find them. Recognizing the voting rights for blind people is where the state
is falling short, said Ciccone.

“I argue that it’s a fundamental right,” she said.

Ciccone pointed to the 15th amendment, which granted African Americans the
right to vote, the 20th amendment, which gave women the right to vote, and
the 26th amendment, which gave 18-year-olds the right to vote to back this
up.

“Those amendments give you the absolute right to vote,” said Ciccone. “There
is nothing in the constitution that gives you the right to have a secret and
independent ballot, however, New Jersey law against discrimination and the
Americans with Disabilities Act state that you cannot discriminate against
people with disabilities in the programs that a state and local government
provide. So if you are giving the opportunity to people without disabilities
to vote secretly and independently, you should be giving people with
disabilities that same right.”

No matter which voting option she chooses, Melendez said the process is
“cumbersome” for her. She needed help once again this year from her son, who
helped her sign and mail her ballot.

“I didn’t vote independently or secretly. It wasn’t really accessible for
me,” she said, adding the state’s “take it or leave it” solution was only
halfway there.

An evolving solution

In 2014, the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) sued the state of
Maryland, and that is why things are slowly changing, Blake said.

The organization realized a federal law, the Uniformed Citizens Overseas
Absentee Voting Act — initially developed to enable military voting while
stationed abroad —  was exactly what its clientele needed.

“Many states developed and started implementing electronic ballot delivery
systems,” she said. “After it was used in one or two elections successfully,
legislation was passed to make that system available to all absentee voters.
That’s when the NFB got involved and brought a suit against the state of
Maryland to make this system available.”

The NFB won its case, which was appealed by security advocates with concerns
about the integrity of the returned ballot. This is the argument most often
levied against electronic return systems, said Blake.

“All of these security concerns are hypothetical. There’s no actual data to
show that any of these systems have ever been breached or hacked in an
election setting,” Blake said. “The judge agreed with us. It was appealed
and we won there too. The system was first made available to voters with
disabilities in the 2015 election.”

There are 27 states, including New Jersey, that use electronic ballots as a
result of this suit. But only three states allow ballots to be returned
electronically, making the process truly accessible to disabled voters:
Delaware, West Virginia and Nevada.

Blake attributes the rarity of accessible voting to the fact that it’s still
a relatively new concept.

“It’s difficult for some people to adapt to new systems. One small step at a
time I guess,” Blake said. “Also some smaller jurisdictions don’t have the
staff to be monitoring these systems They don’t have the staff to know how
they work and how to upload things safely and establish best practices.”

Blake, who is also blind, can empathize with Melendez's experiences.

“Why do people think it’s OK for a blind voter to have to tell their choices
to someone and trust that person to mark their ballot for them?” she said.

--

Respectfully,
Linda Melendez, 1st Vice President
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com