[NFBNJ] Great News, New Jersey disabled parental rights one step closer to becoming law

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Mon Jun 14 04:49:53 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

I am pleased to share this important update and a request for your
participation.

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey has been working with
Assemblywoman Yvonne Lopez, D-19th District to protect the rights of
disabled parents by introducing and sponsoring the Disabled Parental Rights
Bill. On March 17, 2021 the bill, A5517, was introduced and referred
to the Assembly
Judiciary Committee. The Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC) has joined our
efforts as a sponsor.

On Wednesday, June 9 the Judiciary Committee convened to review and vote on
its status. As your elected President I was asked to give testimony on our
behalf. In addition, I advocated as a private citizen for the disabled
community.

I am excited and honored to let you know the vote was unanimous in favor to
report out of Assembly Committee and is pending a full legislative vote.

To learn more about NJ A5517, view the bill text and leave a comment click
on the link below;

https://legiscan.com/NJ/bill/A5517/2020

I strongly encourage every disabled New Jersey resident to leave a comment
of support to increase A5517 becoming law before the Legislature breaks for
summer vacation. Thank you, in advance.

​

Email: president at nfbnj.org
Website: www.nfbnj.org
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238
Twitter: @NFBNewJersey <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
YouTube: NFBNJTransformDreams
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.
--

​Warmly,