[NFBNJ] Please Share Fw: Flag Day US Army Birthday

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 14 22:02:54 UTC 2021

Greetings to all!
See below and please share.

Joe Ruffalo, First Vice-President
nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Donate
your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking

From: mr_president Humphrey
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 4:18 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Flag Day US Army Birthday

Happy Birthday "Old Glory" and the US Army.  I hope and pray you are all in
good health.  I am looking forward to "seeing" you at the convention  With
any luck we will meet in person next year

10 FACTS
1.  Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the
American flag by resolution of the Second Continental Congress in 1777.

2. The American flag, as we know it today, consists of 13 horizontal red and
white stripes, each representing the 13 original colonies of the United
States, and a blue rectangle in the canton with 50 white, five-pointed stars
representing the 50 states of the Union.

3. The 1777 resolution did not set the size or proportions of the flag, or
even what shape the constellation of stars should be. As a result, flags of
the era showed the constellation of stars in different arrangements, and
flags were made with differing proportions. It was not until 1912 that the
flag’s design was standardized.

4. A new star is added with the inclusion of every new state to the Union.
The number of stars increased to 15 in 1795, 20 by 1818, and the trend
continued. The 50th star was added with the inclusion of the state of Hawaii
to the Union in 1959.

5. Until 1818, a new stripe was also added for each new state. The famous
Star-Spangled Banner that inspired our national anthem had 15 stars and 15
stripes.

6. The  first flag was not made by Betsy Ross. We do know that Ross was a
seamstress and that she probably  did sew American flags; she just didn’t
create the first one.

7. The flag got its nickname, “Old Glory,” from William Driver, a
Massachusetts-born resident of Nashville, Tennessee who hid his homemade
flag from Confederate troops, unfurling it again when the city came under
the control of federal troops.

8. The Pledge of Allegiance was written not for Flag Day, but for Columbus
Day.

9. Flag Day was founded by a school teacher named Bernard J. Cigrand, who
began observing the day with his class at Stony Hill School in Waubeka,
Wisconsin.

10. President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation establishing June 14th as
Flag Day on May 30, 1916.

Cordially,
Vern
Vernon F. Humphrey PhD
MSG, US Army (R)
President National Association of Blind Veterans

“Each of us is in essence like a rubber band ball. Culture is developed as
if adding one rubber band after another. Some rubber bands are wide and
comforting; some are thin, tight and painful, with a variety of sizes
in-between adding to the construction. Each new rubber band changes the
mass, density and dimension of the ball and how it will react to outside
stimuli, just as the layers of culture change how we as humans react to
situations.”