[NFBNJ] Week of June 14, 2021 President Riccobono's Notebook, NationalItems of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Tue Jun 15 00:57:37 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To help stay connected with our National Office and with the work of our
organization I am sharing some of President Riccobono's weekly notebook,
National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Email: president at nfbnj.org
President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
410-659-9314
officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Dear Federation Family,

It’s convention time! The below pile of announcements, notes, and reminders
is enough to tell you that this is our focus. I am heads down getting ready
for our best convention ever. Thank you to each of you for helping to make
that a reality.

0All efforts forward to the convention!
Critical Actions: Policies to Be Considered:

As the supreme authority of the organization, the convention assembled
elects leaders and sets policies and priorities. Delegates and members in
attendance normally need to be in-person to vote, but the board has
proposed rules of engagement for the virtual environment. Similar rules
were adopted in 2020. This information will also be posted on
nfb.org/convention.

   - Review the proposed rules of engagement for the 2021 NFB Virtual
   Convention
   <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2106/bm210603.htm>
   - Review a board resolution
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/2021-june-board-resolution-establish-fund-support-surviviors-under>
being
   recommended to the convention to establish a fund to support survivors
   under our code of conduct.
   - Review proposed resolutions—which will be posted under
   nfb.org/resolutions as soon as the committee has processed them.

News: Pre-Convention Activity—Zoom Cooking and Cocktails for Banquet:

Plan to attend Feasting Together: Cooking and Cocktails, a pre-convention
activity to help prepare for the banquet, on June 30 at 6:00 p.m. eastern
via Zoom. Federationists Regina Mitchell and Hoby Wedler will share a
couple of recipes and give tips to having a successful banquet dinner no
matter what your planned meal is. Please send your planned menu or any
cooking questions to communications at nfb.org. Zoom details and agenda coming
soon.
Reminder for First Time Convention Attendees—Convention Concierge Service:

Submit interest by June 15! Access the Convention Concierge Service, hosted
by the Kenneth Jernigan Committee: Let’s connect you with someone who can
help break the ice, tap into our network, and answer your questions about
all things national convention. Email rookie at nfb.org or drop us a voicemail
at 410-659-9314, extension 2020, by June 15 to let us know that you are
interested. Please include your name, preferred telephone number, what
state you are joining us from, and a few things that you want us to know
when matching you with mentors (e.g., life goals, if you are a guide dog
user, if you are perhaps a parent of a blind child, if you are a student,
what are your hobbies, the types of individuals you would like to meet,
etc.).
Give $20 Convention Drawing:

Each year, thousands of Federation members and friends make donations to
fund our great programs. Your continued support is needed. When you
participate in the Give $20 campaign
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=20749&qid=5147870> you will be
entered into the Give $20 convention drawing (formerly known as the Kenneth
Jernigan convention drawing) AND help our work to change lives for blind
people across the country. Visit the Give $20 Convention Drawing page
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/give-20-convention-drawing>
learn how to contribute and qualify. *Please note: The drawing is for
individuals and is not intended for contributions by divisions, state
affiliates, or chapters.*
Join the National Association of Blind Students at Convention:

Our national student division is calling all blind students and allies to
join us for our exciting convention programming. After having a blast at
NABS Networking, plan to attend the business meeting, happening on July 7
at 8:00 p.m., by registering using this form
<https://forms.gle/D9jKCUTPt6HfPKUK8>. Please note that anyone can register
to attend up until the start of the convention on July 6, 2021. However, if
you intend to vote in this year’s election process, you must be registered
and have paid your dues by June 21, 2021. For more information, we invite
you to check out this NABS at National Convention
<https://nabslink.org/national-convention> page.
Attention Parents:

Are you a parent of a blind child? Will you be joining us for the national
convention of the National Federation of the Blind for the first time in
2021? Or, have you joined us for convention before, but still feel lost,
overwhelmed, or have questions about parent activities, the convention as a
whole, or navigating the virtual environment? Or have you been coming to
conventions for years and want to help new families have a positive
convention experience? If you answered yes to any of the above, then you
are in luck! The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC)
will be offering two “Convention 411” sessions to introduce a few NOPBC
board members so you feel a little more connected, go over NOPBC
activities, discuss general convention activities including the NFB board
meeting and general sessions, highlight “shouldn’t miss” events and why
they are important for parents and families, and answer any questions you
may have about this extremely exciting, yet very busy week.

We will be offering this session twice; you do not need to attend both
sessions. Sessions will also be recorded in case you cannot listen to
either one live. Of course, during recorded sessions you cannot ask
questions, so we hope you will make the time to join us if at all possible
so we can give you the information you are looking for.

Please join us on Sunday, June 27, from 4:00-6:00 p.m. eastern time

https://zoom.us/j/96476022977

Meeting ID: 964 7602 2977

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,96476022977# US (Chicago)

Or Thursday, July 1, from 8:00-10:00 p.m. eastern time

https://zoom.us/j/94575291675

Meeting ID: 945 7529 1675

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,94575291675# US (Washington DC)
Our Family Wizard App:

We are investigating the accessibility of the OurFamilyWizard
<https://www.ourfamilywizard.com/> co-parenting app. If you use, or have
tried to use, OurFamilyWizard with screen access software, please contact
Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at vyingling at nfb.org to report
your experience.
Access Technology Affordability Act:

Last Wednesday Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (NY) and Jerry Moran (KS)
cosponsored S. 212, the Access Technology Affordability Act. This brings us
closer to our goal of having 25 senate cosponsors by the end of next week.
Please continue to urge your senators and your representative to cosponsor
this legislation.
The Latest Issue of *Future Reflections* Available:

*Future Reflections*
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/future-reflections> is a
quarterly magazine for parents and teachers of blind children that offers
resources and information based on the National Federation of the Blind's
positive philosophy of blindness. Read and share this special issue on
COVID and beyond. Access the recent *Future Reflections*
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr40/2/fr4002tc.htm> now.
Recent Blog: “Ten Advantages of Being Blind”

Social media can be a place to share the love of our identity with
everyone. Read Julie McGinnity’s post about “Ten Advantages of Being Blind”
in our recent *Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog*
<https://nfb.org/blog/ten-advantages-being-blind>.
Thanks to NFB of Kansas and NFB of Kansas Johnson County Chapter:

Appreciation goes out to our Kansas affiliate and the NFB of Kansas Johnson
County chapter for recent generous contributions. We do it all together
with love, hope, and determination. You are appreciated.
Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

   -  June 29: Rookie Roundup, 8:30 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere