[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1782

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon Oct 5 10:35:13 UTC 2020

October 5, 2020

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Wow, I cannot believe October is here! I am loving the weather with
nighttime temperatures in the 40's and daytime temperatures in the low 70's,
and I know some of you are enjoying football four days a week! October also
means Meet the Blind Month and several chapters around the state are holding
in-person, as well as, Zoom events. If your chapter or division is
participating in Meet the Blind month, please call or email me with the
details and I will include it in the Positive Note and on the listserv.
Below are details of Meet the Blind Chapter events that I know about as of
the writing of this Positive Note. I hope all chapters will participate in
events of Meet the Blind month. I look forward to attending as many of them
as I can!

Anderson Chapter

Come join the Anderson Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC
on October 24, 2020! We will have our Meet the Blind Event/Walk from 12:00
noon to 2:00 p.m. at McCants Middle School Track, 2123 March banks Avenue,
Anderson, SC 29621. Everyone is invited to join us and learn about the
National Federation of the Blind. We will have pamphlets and other
literature for people to take.

The Anderson Chapter will have the below items for sale as a fundraiser.

*	T-shirts with the Anderson chapter featured, and the national
Federation of the blind logo on the back of the shirt.  The wording on the
shirt will read "Walk by faith and not by sight."
*	NFB Mask
*	Baked Goods

Candy bars donate it by Miss Linda Dizzley of the Lee County Chapter of the
NFB of SC.

For more information or to participate, please contact Demetrius Williford
at (864) 328-8177 or email Santez1981 at gmail.com
<mailto:Santez1981 at gmail.com>

Lee County Chapter

Sunday, October 11 at 7:00 p.m. via zoom.

A panel of employees who are blind will answer questions regarding work
accommodations. Members of the Lee County chapter will present NFB
literature and face masks. Contact Linda Dizzly, President of this chapter
at 803-459-4585. The zoom link for this event is below.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Several NFB of SC members visited Rocky Bottom last week to get ready for a
larger group who will be at our happy place until October 10. Barry Chavis
and Carolyn Phillips deep cleaned Ellenburg, hung pictures, tightened bed
frames, and found other projects to keep them very busy from Monday until
Wednesday. Several team members from Successful Transitions also spent most
of the week cleaning, organizing and labeling items and print and Braille
for the newly opened gift shop, repurposing furniture, and adding new pieces
to a few rooms. When you visit Ellenburg, you will notice two new couches
and love seats and several furniture cubes. When you walk into the front
door, the furniture is in a cube in the middle of the room with the outer
edges of the room for walking. There is a straight clear path from the front
door to the kitchen if you trail the left wall. Our hope is, as always, that
you visit Rocky Bottom and make yourself at home. We ask that you leave it
better than you found it, as all of us are working hard to add little
touches to make it even more inviting. When I left on Saturday evening at
8:00, I was exhausted and very sore. While my muscles were screaming to give
them a rest, I felt exhilarated and proud of all that we had accomplished in
a short period of time. During the trip home, I reflected on what a
beautiful place we have at the bottom of Sassafras Mountain; God's country
as we call it; a retreat where people who are blind come together to learn
independent skills, socialize, and have a great time fishing, hiking,
sitting on the deck listening to nature, and just relaxing. A group will
return to Rocky bottom October 12-14 to help Linda clean from  the group
that left on the tenth and find additional small projects to do while we are
there. All are welcome. If you live in Columbia and wish to go, please call
me at 803-960-9977 or email me at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
<mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>  and I will happily add you to the list. If you
are in other parts of the state and wish to attend, you are welcome to join
us, just let me know that you are coming.

Speaking of Rocky Bottom, if you wish to make a reservation for your chapter
or personally, please call Thom Spittle, Chairman, at 803-331-3344.

              There are a lot of exciting things happening at Rocky Bottom.
We are launching a social media campaign called Friends of Rocky Bottom. The
goal of this campaign is to gather pictures and stories from people who have
fond memories about their time at Rocky Bottom, and share them with one
another. Please send any photos or stories to our staff at
FriendsOfRockyBottom at gmail.com <mailto:FriendsOfRockyBottom at gmail.com> . We
will post about every 10 days or so. We will also post about new things
happening at the camp, so you can stay informed.

              To sign up to our Facebook page, click on this link:

https://m.facebook.com/Friends-of-Rocky-Bottom-111237250736019/

and remember to share it with your friends and family.

              We also have an email list which will put the same posts
directly to your inbox.

Just click on the following link, fill out your information and check your
mail for the confirmation email. You must reply to the confirmation email,
or click on the link inside of the email to opt in.  Click here:

              If that wasn't enough good news, how about this?

              Rocky Bottom is inviting area furniture dealers and
manufacturers to our camp in hopes that they will adopt a room. This will be
a great way to upgrade our facilities with some new furniture while
advertising for our local partners. If you know a potential partner, please
call me at 803-331-3344 or email me at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com>

Our next South Carolina Connects meeting will be Thursday, October 15, at 5
pm on the Zoom platform. Please invite your chapter members, friends and
anyone interested in learning more about the NFB of SC. I look forward to
chatting with all of you!

The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this week. You are
welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a member of the
chapter or committee.

Please contact the chapter president and ask if it is alright to attend
their meeting.

All Committee meetings are open to the public for listening. Contact
President Bazer if you would like to be added to any NFBofSC committee.

The computer science division is holding it's monthly training and help time
at 10am on Saturday. Feel free to join.

This month Shannon Cook will lead us in learning all about calendars.

Monday, October 05, 2020           Fundraising Committee 8pm

Tuesday, October 06, 2020           Legislative Committee 8pm

Thursday, October 08, 2020         "Cherokee Chapter 1pm

Saturday, October 10, 2020          Computer Science Division Training 10am

Sunday, October 11, 2020             Lee County Chapter 7pm

To join, follow one of the below ways.

NFBofSC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFBofSC Chapter, Division & Committee meetings

Time: as stated above

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Talking Book Services Digital Friends

Join us for Digital Books and Friends' Book Club

The South Carolina State Library's Talking Book Services is pleased to
announce October's Digital Books and Friends' Book Club - a book club for
our audio readers. This month's Book club will take place online via Zoom on
Friday, October 30, 2020,  from 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. 2020. If you're
interested in joining us, please contact Talking Book Services at
1-800-922-7818 or email us at tbsbooks at statelibrary.sc.gov
<mailto:tbsbooks at statelibrary.sc.gov> . After you register, we'll send you
all the details about how to login via Zoom. We look forward to having you
join us online for some great book discussions!

October 30, 2020

Friday, 3:00pm-4:00pm EST

How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper

DB095289 8 hours, 54 minutes

For years Andrew has worked a thankless job, searching for the next of kin
of those who die alone. Luckily, he goes home to a loving family every
night. At least, that's what his coworkers believe. When he meets new
employee Peggy, Andrew feels trapped by his own lies. 2019.

              Below is a message from Ed Bible, Chairman of the Federation
Center in Columbia:

Week 3 Only one month to go!

The BIG Challenge!        Win $300 for your chapter or division!

As you know, Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind is
selling $5 Rocky Bottom fundraising tickets.  These tickets must be sold
with the filled out stubs turned in with the $5 per ticket by no later than
Friday, October 30.  Send them to, or drop them off at the Federation Center
of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205.  Checks should be
made payable to RBRCCB.

              The drawing will be on October 31 to kick off the week long
Rocky Bottom online auction ending on November 7.  The winning ticket drawn
will yield $500 to the buyer, $50 to the seller and $300 to the chapter or
division selling the most tickets!  Now that the ball is rolling, we are
offering a weekly challenge every Friday leading up to October 30, providing
the top five ticket sellers - and here they are for today!

Rank     Tickets sold        Chapter/Division

1.	136                       At-Large Chapter
2.	81                       Columbia Chapter
3.	44                       Cherokee Chapter
4.	15                       Georgetown Chapter
5.	14                       Sumter Chapter

             I know some chapters are waiting until close to October 30 to
turn in their ticket sales.  In fact, I know the Rock Hill Chapter requested
150 tickets this week.

              Contact David Houck at 803-254-3777 if you need us to send you
more tickets or you can also reach him at  <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr,com>
nfbsc at sc.rr,com with your ticket requests.  Let's get out there and show
everyone that you can be number one and win the $300 prize!

Our online auction will be held October 31-November 7 to raise money for
Rocky Bottom. If you have new items to contribute, please mail or drop them
off at the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or
you can call me at 803-960-9977 or email me at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
<mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>  and I will be happy to pick them up. Your
chapter or division can also mail a check made out to Rocky Bottom, and we
will be happy to shop for you. Let's work together to make this event a huge
success!

PAC

On 10/1/2020, we listened to the Presidential Release and guess what? They
listed off the top 10 states currently giving on the PAC plan by amounts.
Unfortunately, SC was not yet listed in the top 10, but I know with your
assistance and believing in the National Federation of the Blind, we can get
their! The efforts of the organization depends on you and I to help with
keeping the movement present and fruitful.

If you are able, please consider enrolling or increasing your PAC Plan
contribution? Here is how:

You can make recurring monthly donations through direct withdrawals from a
checking or savings account or sign up with your credit/debit card. The
minimum contribution is just $5.00 and will greatly be appreciated!

NFB.ORG/PAC or

Email: PAC at NFB.ORG <mailto:PAC at NFB.ORG>  <mailto:PAC at NFB.ORG>

You can also call 1 800 632 2722

Nationally:

NFB Mailing Lists

If you would like to see all of the mailing list that the National
Federation of the Blind operates, please go to the below link. You will find
mailing list pertaining to sports, quiet cars, krafters, technology, general
talk, and a variety of other topics that are free to join!

Braille Monitor

The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers the events and activities of the NFB, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and highlights our members.

Cover of the Braille Monitor magazine.Distributed eleven times a year since
1957, the Braille Monitor:

Offers a positive philosophy about blindness to both blind readers and the
public at large

Serves as a vehicle for advocacy and protection of civil rights

Addresses social concerns affecting the blind

Discusses issues related to employment, education, legislation, and
rehabilitation

Provides news about products and technology used by the blind

To learn more, we invite you to read Dr. Kenneth Jernigan's 1993 article
entitled, "Concerning History and the Braille Monitor."

How to Subscribe

The Braille Monitor is available online, via email, in fourteen-point
inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive. It is also available through
our NFB-NEWSLINER program and via podcast by searching for "National
Federation of the Blind-Braille Monitor" in your podcast client.

Go to the below link to read the October 2020 edition of the Braille
Monitor.

https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor

Banquet Speeches

If you would like to listen to any of the past banquet speeches. Please go
to the below link.

https://www.nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/banquet-speeches

I appreciate all of you and your hard work, and thank you so much for your
dedication to the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina! Let's
go build the Federation!

Final Thought: "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking
creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love."

- Lao Tzu (600 BC-531 BC)

              NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of
the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and
security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the
Federation; and to abide by its

constitution.

              NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind
knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

              If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to
receive it directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve
Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  or call him at home
at 803-254-0222 and he will be happy to add you to the listserv and the
Positive Note.