[NFBofSC] Blind parents

kicrawley.nfb at gmail.com kicrawley.nfb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:43:31 UTC 2022

Hey there Lori Anne,
It is interesting that you bring this up as I have been asking around for a
few weeks or more to see if there was any interest in such a group.
Personally, I think if there is a Parents of Blind Children division there
should also be a Blind Parents division. Unfortunately, there is only a
Blind Parents Group on the national level. I would be interested in becoming
a member of such a group but not in a leadership role.
The way that groups work in the NFB is there is a chair of a group and there
are members. If there is enough participation and interest groups can become
divisions, but the exact path to becoming a division I am not sure of. To my
knowledge we do not have any groups in SC but I would love to see some pop
up in the future. One of the problems that we have as an affiliate is
identifying new leaders. As needs and interests such as a Blind Parents
Group come up we typically see leaders from other divisions, chapters, and
committees take on those responsibilities, putting added stress on them and
taking away time and focus from other projects/programs they may be involved
in. We need to figure out a way to address this.
The chair of the national Blind Parents Group is Lisamaria Martinez. Her
phone is (510) 289-2577. Her email is LisaMaria0217 at gmail.com.
There is also a blind parents list serve that you can find at the following
link. http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blparent_nfbnet.org
I hope this helps. If you have any questions you can reach out to me any
time and I will do what I can to assist you.

Sincerely,

Kristopher I. Crawley

At Large Board Member: National Federation Of The Blind Of SC
President: SC Communities of Faith Division
Co-Chair: SC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
Email: KICrawley.NFB at Gmail.com
Phone/Text: (803) 220-1727
NFB of SC Pages
Visit our Website