[NFBP-Talk] orbit reader or braille embosser

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:59:13 UTC 2018

Hi,
I personally think in many cases the orbit reader is better than a braille embosser or braille printer! Why? With a braille embosser you have to maintain it, make sure it has lots of paper, wait for what you want to actually print out, and have a physical place to store your embossed braille. At this point the only advantage to an embosser is if you want to look at tables. But even that on the orbit20 is not too difficult due to how send to braille turns Microsoft word tables into quite easy to read tables formatted for a braille display. If I really want to read charts and stuff and I will be getting this later this year hopefully once it is out. The $1300 or so canute360 9 line 40 cell multiline display will meet my table reading needs. And it too will have solid signage quality braille so I hear. I also want to get the braille me when it comes out sometime this month as well. I thought about getting an emBraille printer for $1995. But then when I think of the almost instant access to any braille I wish through the orbit reader 20 and other low cost displays like it, I ask myself why? Why bother with a $1995 braille printer? If I want graphics I’ll wait for the orbit graphiti. Multiline braille? Wait for canute360. Faster refresh rate than orbit gives me? Plus cursor router buttons, Get braille me. At this point I just cannot justify the purchase of an embosser. With orbit reader I can grab something off the internet, off a page with knfb reader and my phone and have it in braille in a few moments. Very very fast. And if I want higher quality braille with fancy colored boxes and stuff, then braille blaster is the answer. At most if I need Duxbury if I want transcribe something in some foreign languages but even that can be accomplished by changing to another translation table with send to braille translator that is free.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10