[NFBP-Talk] Fwd: Fw: Urgent! Call Your Representative Today to Save General Assistance for Low Income Persons in Pennsylvania

Jan Lattuca jrlattuca at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:34:52 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jack Santry <jmsantry at ymail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 21:07:07 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Fw: Urgent! Call Your Representative Today to Save General
Assistance for Low Income Persons in Pennsylvania
To: Angels4me2838 <angels4me2838 at aol.com>, Mary Gard
<fyebargard at aol.com>, Marian Stroup <mstroup at sundaybreakfast.org>, Jan
Lattuca <jrlattuca at gmail.com>, Michael Osborne <mro1445 at gmail.com>,
LEANNA GRAHAM <annael at comcast.net>, Tamela Luce
<tluce at healthspark.org>, Paula Schafer <paulaschafer at verizon.net>,
Catherine Conahan <ckconahan at gmail.com>, Denise Schultz
<denise.schultz at icloud.com>, Craig Robbins <crobbins at philaup.org>,
Susan Glover <trainingbydesign at yahoo.com>, Sandy Knight
<sknight at chelten.org>, Marylouise Still <mlstill56 at gmail.com>,
Inter-Faith Housing Alliance <office at i-fha.org>, Jamie McKnight
<jmcknight at rollingharvest.org>, Elaine Warren <prettybird50 at yahoo.com>

 Good Afternoon,
      Please take a moment and look at the email below as it relates
to H.B. 33. This piece of Legislation will only serve to undermine our
Social Safety Net. Share this with others in your organization and
along with organizations who believe that these services are a
important part of the fabric of our Neighborhoods.
Jack
   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Bucks County Women's Advocacy
Coalition <info at bcwac.org>To: John Santry <jmsantry at ymail.com>Sent:
Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 2:18:22 PM EDTSubject: Urgent! Call Your
Representative Today to Save General Assistance for Low Income Persons
in Pennsylvania

|   PA House to Vote on Ending General Assistance  |

 Action Alert

|  |

 John,

 On March 25th the PA House Health Committee, without hearings, voted
affirmatively on partisan lines and sent to the House Floor HB 33, a
bill designed to eliminate General Assistance on July 1. This cash
assistance program, which has been under attack in the past, and was
re-instated four years ago thanks to a PA Supreme Court ruling,
provides approximately $200 a month to 70,000 Pennsylvanians who are
the poorest of the poor and who use the dollars to help stabilize
their lives in an emergency or difficult situation. Usually these
persons –who are disabled, under treatment for substance use, children
being cared for by neighbors or fleeing domestic abuse, for example –
are applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and when they
finally receive it, the Commonwealth is reimbursed, so the net cost to
the state is repaid.

 Call your elected officials today to speak out in support of General
Assistance and against HB 33. Tell your representative you support
General Assistance and urge them to vote "No" on HB 33.

| Call Your Pennsylvania Representatives Today to Protect General Assistance |

 Learn more about General Assistance with this infographic from PHAN,
a BCWAC organization partner.

 Thank you for taking action,

|  |

 Kathy Beveridge, BCWAC Board President

 Bucks County Women's Advocacy Coalition
 PO Box 248  | Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901
 267-753-9461 | info at bcwac.org

 Follow Us

|  |  |

Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser

| Manage Subscription |