[NFBP-Talk] NFB of PA's February Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 04:28:59 UTC 2023

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our February 2023 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

During the first few days of the month, we will start sending out our
calendar of events. These events will be within the National Federation of
the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent information from the
National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com by the 29th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.

A Message from our Affiliate President

02/01/2023

Good day All and Happy Ground Hog Day!

We have just finished a successful Washington Seminar.  13 Members of the
NFB of PA traveled to Washington DC to meet with our Congressional
Representatives and talk about three key issues.  You can review the issues
at www.nfb.org/washington-seminar   We also had the opportunity to meet
Senator Robert Casey at a reception in the Kennedy Caucus Room on Tuesday.

Please check out the calendar events for upcoming meetings and seminars
available!

- Lynn Heitz, NFB of PA State Affiliate President
Membership Dues for 2023

We are still collecting dues for 2023! Please contact your chapter and
divisions for membership dues as each chapter and division has different
amounts.

Google Calendar Links

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can view the calendar without subscribing to it and view it on your web
browser by clicking the following link:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please click the following link and go through the
steps to subscribe:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Member Spotlight” Connie Scheu

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow other members to learn about other members within the affiliate. We
hope you enjoy this little spotlight!

Connie Scheu holds many roles within the affiliate. She is one of the Board
Directors for our State Affiliate.  She also helps out with the Erie County
Chapter meetings and is the co-chair of our newly formed group: Blind
Seniors. She also helped in restarting the Senior Possibilities Fair at our
2022 State Convention along with other volunteers. With all that she also
loves to sing Karaoke. If you attended our 2022 State Convention, you would
have heard her beautiful voice singing karaoke at the Talent Showcase! If
you ever get a chance to meet her in-person, make sure you say “Hello!”

Calendar of Events

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information. If anyone within a chapter, division, or group see any errors
or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com or
text her at 215-776-6741.

 The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

  Erie County Chapter Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania.

  Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 6pm ET

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting

 a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship and their supporters.

  Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 6PM ET

  Greater Bucks Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Bucks County of
Pennsylvania

Friday, February 10, 2023 at 10AM ET

  Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area.
This is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The
other chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter.

Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 10:15AM ET

Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting

 a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters.

 Monday, February 13, 2023 at 6PM ET

Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children (PAOPBC) Monthly
Meeting

 a monthly meeting for parents of blind children and their supporters

 Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 11AM ET

Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area.

Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6PM ET

  Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area.

  Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 10AM ET

  Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters

  Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 7PM ET

  Blind Seniors Group

  a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters.

  Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 7:30PM ET

  Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley.

  Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 10AM ET

Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter.

Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 10AM ET

  Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU)

  a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide
dog as well as their supporters.

  Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 4pm ET

  Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters.

  Monday, February 27, 2023 at 7PM ET

 White Canes Connect Podcast

 Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant. It
features interviews with our PA members as well as interviews and resources
for the blind community. You can listen to it wherever you listen to
podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

Birthday Wishes and Special Occasions Greater Philadelphia Chapter honors
members at Holiday Luncheon

The Greater Philadelphia Chapter honored 4 amazing individuals who have
been members for over 40 years. Members, family, and friends came together
to Park Towers Apartment in January 2023 to honor Mary Byron, Ruth
Chambers, Joseph Hardin, and Marilyn Klein.  All were given crystal awards
from the chapter to show their appreciation for all the hard work they have
put into the chapter and into the NFB!  Please see pictures and videos on
their Facebook page.

Birthday Wishes!

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in December and January a very happy birthday! We
forgot to wish well birthday wishes to December babies last month! #Sorry

Leadership Seminar 2023

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania will be holding their
annual leadership seminar from March 10-12, 2023 in State College, PA.
Chapter and division presidents are asked to invite up to 5 people from
their chapter/division to join in. We look forward to meeting those invited
in State College in March!
Fundraisers NFB of PA April Raffle

The NFB of PA is selling $5 tickets for their April 2023 Raffle.
Participants will choose a 3-digit number to play during the entire month
of April 2023. Each day, a winner is chosen to receive a monetary prize. If
your number is selected from Sunday to Friday, you will receive $50. If
your number is selected on a Saturday, you will receive $100. Once a winner
is selected for the day, their number is thrown back into the pot so a
person has 30 chances to win during the entire month of April! Please send
all payments to NFB of PA State Treasurer Brian Mackey by March 27, 2023.
Each chapter treasurer has some raffle tickets in their possession to sell
so please contact your chapter treasurer for more details. If you are not
apart of a chapter, such as a family member, friend, co-worker,
acquaintance, or supporter of any kind and wish to purchase tickets, please
contact Jim Antonacci at jjantonacci at verizon.net

PAOPBC Chocolate Fundraiser

The Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children is
participating once again with Sarris Chocolate to do some fundraising! 25%
of all sales goes back into the division. This is to allow for scholarships
and financial assistance that we can give back to the parents who have
blind or visually impaired children.

Please consider buying some chocolate for loved ones during Valentine's Day!

Give someone the gift of chocolate for St. Patrick's Day!

Buy some to show appreciation to family and friends during Easter, all
occasions and holidays in between!

This is the Spring collection and will run from now until April 2, 2023

This is to ensure that your chocolate gets to you by Easter if you wish to
eat it then but you can always buy some now and more later. :)

This is the perfect gift for yourself or someone in your life!

Our Group code is 10-0316.

You can also access the following link to get to the website and support
our division:

https://www.sarriscandiesfundraising.com/Group.aspx?id=10-0316

Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser

The Blind Parents Group still have some t-shirts left over from our
fundraising efforts at the state convention. The t-shirts comes in either
black with white letterings or white with black letterings. Both shirts say
“I Support #BlindParents” with the NFB of PA Logo and “Blind Parents Group”
at the bottom. Funds raised will start a scholarship funds to assist blind
or visually impaired parents and their family through financial life
hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please contact Stacie Leap at
stacie.leap at gmail.com

Past: Happy Valley Powerhouse Sub Fundraiser

The Happy Valley recently had their Powerhouse Subs fundraiser that ended
earlier this month. They want to thank everybody who helped make this
fundraiser a success!
Other External Events

These events are not hosted or sponsored by the NFB or the NFB of PA.
However, we think these might be good resources for those living in
Pennsylvania. If you have any events that you wish to be in our monthly
digest, please email Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com

Liberty Resources’ Blind/Low Vision Support Group

Our members Karen Rose and Simone Cooper partner up with Liberty Resources
to hold weekly virtual support group at Liberty Resources. The aim is to
share resources and provide support to those experiencing blindness or low
vision. Meetings are weekly on Tuesdays from 1pm to 2pm ET. For more
information or to sign-up, please email Latoya Maddox at
LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org

Vision Thru Art

Vision Thru Art is a weekly sculpture class for blind and visually-impaired
artists that has been running at Allens Lane Art Center for more than 30
years. Our dedicated faculty, staff and volunteers help the students
express their inner vision through a variety of media including clay, wood,
mosaic, stone and other mixed materials. The students are encouraged to
work at their own pace while enjoying the easy-going social atmosphere of
the class. In 2014, Allens Lane Art Center made the class completely free
for all the students including free art supplies each year.

*Location:* The Fluhr Studio - (downstairs back studio accessible by rear
entrance). Many of the students use Para-transit to get to the class.
Service dogs are of course welcome.

*Day/Time:*  Wednesday, 10:30 am – 12:30pm and Friday 10:30 am – 12:30pm.

*Fees:* There are no fees for this class.

*Registration:* Contact by phone (215-248-0546) or by
https://allenslane.org/vision-thru-art/

Eye See You I love U

Eye See You I love U is hosting numerous fundraisers coming up.  You can
view their events and get more information on their website at
https://eyeseeyouiloveu.org/

On February 20th they  will be hosting their  family fun night at Chuck E
Cheese that is open to parents and children of all abilities.

They  will also be holding their  first Walk A thon in June. On June 10th
from 9 AM to 4 PM, individuals can come to Hempfield Park and participate
in our Eye Will Walk With You Walk A Thon to raise awareness for Optic
Nerve Hypoplasia and children with no vision and low vision.

The registration link is below. You can use code EYESEEYOU until April 20th
for 15% off of registration.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/eye-will-walk-with-you-2023-tickets
499094815027?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

Women Healed For A Purpose 2023 Conference!

Our member Lyvette Byrd is hosting her 2nd Annual Women Healed For a
Purpose Conference under her business, For The Byrds Consulting, LLC. The
mission of the conference  is to equip and restore the community through a
faith-based initiative that we hope will strengthen women holistically;
mind, body, and spirit.

We are women Living Interdependently in support of Family, Friends, and our
Fellow neighbors to Educate and Empower our community. The event will be on
Saturday, October 28, 2023. More details about the event will come at a
later date!

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB Message

between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!

the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

www.nfbp.org