[Nfbsf] Update on SF Public Works study criteria

Lisa M. Irving bernieslife at icloud.com
Thu Jun 13 16:31:04 UTC 2019

Hello All,

I just spoke to Linda Meyers, the point of contact person for the study
currently recruiting visually impaired and blind cane users to test tactile
stripping. "According to Ms. Meyers, they are looking for visually impaired
persons who cannot see crosswalks. I urged her to update her study criteria.

As a Federationist and independent cane user who is still getting to know
this incredible city I am concerned at a number of levels about the unspoken
criteria for this study. First, are there any underpinnings about what
blindness is and is not? Second, how much consideration has been taken into
account regarding the involvement of individuals whose vision fluctuates,
and those individuals whose vision is impacted by environmental conditions
such as glare. Lastly, to exclude visually impaired persons who sometimes
see crosswalks and may or may not see tactile stripping may put this group
of cane users at greater risk for injury or death.

In closing, I wanted to express to our group my concerns about an otherwise
inclusive and pro-active study. I also want individuals to be informed when
applying and interviewing. I would also like to know if anyone from this
group or from the blind community who is a guide dog user is being included.

From,

Lisa Irving