[NFBV-Alexandria] Life is an Adventure, and so too the next meeting of the Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFBV!

Brian Miller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 22:49:54 UTC 2018

Good evening,

This is a reminder that the Greater Alexandria Chapter will meet on
Thursday, July 26, at 7:00pm in the club house of the fabulous Meridian At
Eisenhower Station, 2351 Eisenhower Ave in Alexandria. Directions from the
metro can be found at the bottom of this email.

Our theme is travel and adventure!

Life as a blind or visually impaired person can be an adventure, whether
you're traveling to the far corners of the earth, or to the corner store for
a gallon of milk. Our agenda items will offer the opportunity to learn about
and discuss strategies and tools for how to maximize our life's adventure.
You won't want to miss this interactive and engaging get together.

*The Blind Traveler project - Stacy Cervanka, winner of the Holman prize,
will talk about her dream of creating a website like Trip Advisor that will
allow blind and visually impaired travelers a forum to share their
experiences about what works and what doesn't work when out in the world.
She will be keen to hear your ideas for how to make this project successful.

*TravelEyes International - Denna Lambert will share her reflections after
traveling with this UK company that matches blind and sighted travelers for
small group adventures. If you've thought about traveling with this
organization, you will not want to miss hearing what Denna has to say.

*Tech tips - experienced blind and visually impaired travelers will share a
few of their favorite apps they always have loaded up when they leave the
house. Bring your own ideas and suggestions to share with the whole group.

We will also take a few minutes to share some of our favorite moments from
the recently concluded NFB national convention in Orlando, Florida.

If you come before 7pm, you can grab a slice of pizza, but it's BYOB. That
means, Bring your own beverage. Or banjo, if you are musically inclined.

Invite a friend, invite two friends, but don't forget to bring yourself!

Directions from the Eisenhower Ave metro station to the Meridian:

The Yellow line is the only train that comes to Eisenhower Avenue Metro
station.

If you take the elevator or steps down, simply walk straight ahead to the
fare gates and swipe your smart trip card to exit. Once through the fare
gates walk forward about 20 feet and turn right to go out the big iron gate
- you will pass a bus transfer machine on your right; just past that is the
gate. Continue walking straight until you hit the cross walk. Cross the
service road/bus lane and you will hit a sidewalk leading left. There are
curb cuts on each  side of the crosswalk so you know how to line up. Follow
that sidewalk with the service road on your left; you are walking toward
Eisenhower Ave, so you should hear lots of traffic in front of you.

When you reach Eisenhower Avenue, just keep following the sidewalk around to
the right as it merges into Eisenhower Ave. Keep walking one block with
Eisenhower Avenue on your left, and grass on your right. When you get to the
end of that block there is a crosswalk signal button; it will be ticking so
you can find it. Push to button to engage the pedestrian crossing signal.
Turn to face Eisenhower so you can cross to the other side when the signal
starts ticking faster and louder. Cross Eisenhower to the opposite side, and
then turn left and walk about twenty feet. The row of glass front doors to
the Meridian will be immediately on your right. If you walk past those doors
the Subway sandwich shop will be the next door on your right, and there will
be outdoor furniture directly in front of you. When you enter the Meridian,
the front desk is on your right, and the concierge can let you up to the
twenty-fifth floor where the meeting is held.

As always, we wish to thank the Meridian at Eisenhower Station for the
generous use of the club house for our chapter meeting!