[Nfbv-announce] NFB Fairfax Chapter November Newsletter

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 13:19:55 UTC 2010

	Dear Members and Friends:

This is the November 2010 newsletter of the Fairfax Area Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia. Because of our state
convention right around the corner, this email will briefly touch on some of
the events we will have coming up during the next few months. Make sure to
update your calendars.

November 18 Meeting:
Firstly, the chapter will be holding its annual officer elections. The
Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was founded over a
dozen years ago. During that time, the chapter has gained a reputation both
locally and nationally as an outstanding community resource.

This is to announce that for the November elections of new officers, we are
looking for those who have a desire to help continue the chapter's legacy of
excellence. All offices are open for nominations. The offices are:
President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and two board positions.

If you are interested in learning about the responsibilities and rewards of
any of these offices, please approach either John Bailey (703.994.2040) or
Cathy Schroeder (703.319.9226) to have your questions answered.

Our program for November 18 will be a presentation from Larry Povinelli
about Ski for Light. SFL (www.sfl.org) Is an organization that has been
around for years and assists blind and low-vision people to enjoy the sport
of cross-country skiing. Larry, who recently joined SFL with several
friends, will tell us about the program and about his experiences learning
how to ski without sight.

December Holiday Party:
It has become a chapter tradition to share the holidays with each other at
the home of Cathy and Fred Schroeder. They and their family have been
welcoming us to their residence for years and you will definitely want to
keep the evening of December 16 free so that you can join us. Because of
space limitations, this event is open only to friends of the Fairfax Chapter
and members. Specific time and location information will be sent out
shortly.

January Special Event:
On Saturday, January 29, 2011, the Fairfax Chapter will be hosting the
Fairfax Area Low-Vision Transportation Resource Fair. This event will give
the blind community the opportunity to talk one-on-one with local
transportation providers.
The fair will be held at the public library in Fairfax City and all are
invited. The program will run from about 10am until 1pm. The agenda for the
fair is still being put together. Specific details will be sent out soon.

Meeting Location:
For the November 18, 2010 meeting, we will be gathering in the banquet room
at the Fairfax City Red Lobster, located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard. They
can be reached at (703) 691-1011. Their website is
http://www.redlobster.com. Those who wish to join us for dinner should
arrive at 6:30 p.m. The formal meeting will begin promptly at 7:00p.m. And
run till 9:00 p.m. We will be meeting in the banquet room at the restaurant.

If you need transportation assistance from the Vienna Metro Station, please
contact Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder at (703) 319-9226 several
days prior to the meeting. Transportation assistance cannot be guaranteed
after that. We want to make sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting is
able to do so.

John Bailey
John_bailey17 at hotmail.com
703.994.2040