[NFBV-Announce] DBVI trainings

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 04:06:20 UTC 2020

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

The information below are trainings being offered by DBVI; please look over and take advantage as much as possible!

All sessions are open to anyone and free of charge. Each training will begin at 1:00 pm (login as early as 12:45 pm) and will end no later than 3:00 pm. Like our prior trainings, we will be using Zoom as our virtual platform, so join by computer or call in by phone. If any accommodations are needed, please contact Amy Phelps (amy.phelps at dbvi.virginia.gov <mailto:amy.phelps at dbvi.virginia.gov> ) no later than seven days in advance of the training. And if you have any questions about the registration process or virtual training sessions, please contact Greg Chittum at 804-371-3204 or greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov <mailto:greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov> .

VRCVBI Virtual Trainings - December, 2020
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
November 30 to December 16

Monday, November 30 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Strategies for Study Success: Study Skills to Help You Flourish in College, in Grad School, and on the Job
Studying isn’t just for school! We spend our whole lives learning new things, on the job and in our personal lives as well as in the classroom. To make the most of a learning opportunity, whether it’s mastering an updated work process, enjoying a new hobby, or thriving in a challenging college course, study strategies can be your secret weapon. Join us to explore successful techniques and learn how to optimize your study time.
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

Tuesday, December 1 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Digital Braille: Accessing Electronic Information Through the Use of Braille Displays
In today’s world, Braille is easier to access than ever before. Join us as we learn to connect Braille devices to a computer and iPhone, command mainstream devices with your Braille display, and explore how the print world is right at your fingertips.
Presenters: Domonique Lawless, Braille Instructor and Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor

Wednesday, December 2 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Live the (Work) Life You've Imagined
When you enter VRCBVI, a quote from Thoreau is there to greet you: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Join us for this session to hear a panel of employed, blind individuals who pursued (and achieved!) their career goals to do just that. Learn how they networked, used technology, etc. to get where they are today.
Facilitator: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement

Thursday, December 3 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Being Active vs. Passive in Life and in Your Travels
Do you choose to let life happen TO you? Or do you choose to let life happen FOR you?? Come take charge with us as we discuss strategies to help maximize control in your everyday life and travels.
Presenter: Becky Keller, Lead Orientation and Mobility Instructor

Monday, December 7 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Empower Children and Teens with Low or No Vision to Be Involved In Their Health Management
Join this discussion to share tips and resources to help empower children and teens with low/no vision to be involved in their medication management and health.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes / Health Educator

Tuesday, December 8 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
Surfing the Web With Screen Readers
Are you drowning in a sea of web data? Are you tired of arrowing down that lengthy webpage? Is tabbing around getting tedious? Join us and learn quick, effective ways to navigate complex webpages using screen readers. Commands for JAWS, NVDA and Narrator will all be included!
Presenter: Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor

Wednesday, December 9 - 1:00 to 3:00 (2 hours) Pre-ETS
Conversations About Blindness Series - The Gift of Family: Unwrapping Practical Tips for Living Well Together
Have you as a blind person ever experienced frustration because a family member moved something, and you have no idea where that item is, or you are a sighted family member of someone who is blind and that person doesn’t pitch in and help like they did before losing their sight? In this session, panelists will discuss the unique challenges of living successfully with blind and sighted family members and will share their strategies for dealing effectively with conflicts. There can be no place like home for the holidays when families give the gifts of understanding, encouragement, and respect.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

Thursday, December 10 - 1:00 to 2:00 (1 hour) Pre-ETS
Managing Household Finances
How much of your income should you be spending on your rent or mortgage? How about on your food, utilities, etc.? Come learn from VRCBVI's Administrative and Financial Technician who will break down the basics of a household budget.
Presenter: Jeff Harner, VRCBVI Administrative and Financial Technician

Monday, December 14 - 1:00 to 2:15 (1 hour 15 minutes) Pre-ETS
The Blind History Lady Presents...
Join us as Peggy Chong, The Blind History Lady, reveals to us stories depicting the lives of the blind of the United States over the past 200 years. Through these stories, we will all learn of the trials, triumphs and tenacity of these people. We can all see just how much they were just like our ancestors, even though they were blind. According to Peggy, “While researching the subjects of these sketches, I have learned so much that applies to the lives of all of us, blind or sighted, that inspire me and provide me with new ideas, options, techniques and new dreams for myself and the future as a person.”
Facilitator: Amy Phelps, VRCBVI Assistant Director for Instruction

Tuesday, December 15 - 1:00 to 2:00 (1 hour) Pre-ETS
Braille Accommodations: How to Take Control and Prepare for College and Work
There can be lots of ups and downs when starting a new job or going to a new school. Selecting accommodations for a new year at school, a standardized test, or a new position at work should not be a hassle. Join us for a discussion on finding the right accommodations, navigating the process for requesting them, and using them to be successful.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Braille Instructor

Wednesday, December 16 - 1:00 to 2:30 (1 hour 30 minutes) Pre-ETS
The New Normal: Tips to Work Effectively from Home and Strategies to Avoid the Robot Application Destroyer
Yes, these are unprecedented times. But there are ways to succeed! Come and join Business Services Representatives from the City of Richmond Office of Community Wealth, Boyd Headley and John Korusek, as they talk strategies to job hunt and work successfully during a pandemic (and beyond!)
Facilitator: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement

Use this link for more information and to register! <https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/VirtualTrainingsDecember20.html>

--

Greg Chittum

Coordinator for Community Engagement

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Ave.

Richmond, VA 23227

804-371-3204

vrcbvi.org <http://vrcbvi.org>

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want