[NFBV-Announce] Black History Month Day 15

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:30:50 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Please read below for the next installment from our Black Empowerment
Committee.

Day 15

In 1890, George Washington Johnson, a former slave, was the first African
American to make commercial records. He was also the first African-American
recording star of the phonograph.

In April, 2014, his c. 1896 recording of "The Laughing Song" was included in
the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry.

Submitted by Gerald

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want