[NFBV-Announce] Our voices working together...we have made a difference!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 06:54:56 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

The House and Senate have voted!  Change is  happening.

The Virginia General Assembly adjourned this past Monday.  Below is a
listing of the bills that we have been monitoring and discussed during the
Richmond Seminar:

* Priority #1-Accessible Absentee Voting

o HB-1888-Patron VanValkenburg-Passed both House and Senate.  As of March 1,
the bill is awaiting the Governor's response.  He has until March 31 to act
on the bill.

o SB1331-Patron Reaves- Passed both House and Senate.  As of March 1, the
bill is awaiting the Governor's response.  He has until March 31 to act on
the bill.

* Priority #2:  Streamlining the Hiring Processes for Persons With
Disabilities in State Employment

o HB 2140-Patron Guzman- Passed both House and Senate.  As of March 1, the
bill is awaiting the Governor's response.  He has until March 31 to act on
the bill.

* Priority #3-Add Disability to Virginia Human Rights Act

o HB 1848-Patron Sickes-This bill has passed both the House and Senate.  On
February 25, the Governor has approved the bill and the revision of Chapter
12 of the Code of Virginia

* Priority #4-Making crosswalks Safer for Drivers and Blind Pedestrians

o HB 1841-Patron Keam-Passed House with substitution studying the issue- Now
has passed both House and Senate.  As of March 1, the bill is awaiting the
Governor's response.  He has until March 31 to act on the bill.

As you can see, it looks like all of the bills we have been advocating for
have passed both the House and Senate, with one of them already approved by
the Governor, with three others waiting for Governor's action.

We do not know yet what the outcome regarding the Governor's budget
recommendations for DBVI.  There will be one more report at the end of this
month.

Regards,

Stewart Prost

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want