[NFBV-Announce] Financial Assistance to attend the 2023 Washington Seminar

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:54:33 UTC 2022

Every year, the affiliate president will receive a few requests for
Washington Seminar assistance from affiliate members. I am putting some
ground rules in place to help clarify expectations.

If you are planning to request assistance, please send your request to me in
email. Your request should factor in the following:

A. What are my total expected costs:

What should I expect to pay for Washington Seminar factoring in expected
costs for travel, lodging, meals, and other expenses? I have no idea how
much it costs to get from your home to Washington DC and the Holiday Inn
Capitol. You need to do the research. Many people choose to share rooms and
you will start seeing roommate requests posted to our announce list starting
soon. Please be aware that the deadline for hotel reservations at the
Holiday Inn Capitol is Tuesday, December 27, so act fast

B. What can I afford myself

No one will be going to Washington Seminar for free. Individuals requesting
financial assistance should expect to make a contribution to your Washington
Seminar expenses. You should be factoring in this expense into your budget.

C. What is my chapter or division contributing?

Your chapter is a resource for financial assistance. Do not come to the
Virginia Affiliate requesting financial assistance if you have not asked
your local chapter. I will be following up with chapter presidents to
understand how you are contributing at the chapter level to programming and
fundraising. If you are receiving funding from a division such as NABS or
VABS, please also factor that into your request.

D. How much are you requesting from the affiliate

After considering other sources, how much are you requesting from the
Virginia affiliate. Please note that we do not provide funding in advance.
Mark Roane or I will provide funding at Washington Seminar, but you need to
work locally to get your travel and room expenses addressed. You should
expect to attend the Great Gathering In on Monday, January 30from 5:00 PM to
7:00 Pm. Additionally, you will want to attend the interactive Washington
Seminar Issues training on Monday from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. I expect that
most of our Congressional appointments will be conducted on Tuesday, January
31 with some appointments on Wednesday, February 1. It is not our job to
hunt you down at Washington Seminar and it is not our job to provide you
funds as you walk into the hotel.

Speaking of selling, fundraising is the means through which we have the
resources to provide financial assistance. When I talk to your chapter
president, I am checking to determine if you are engaged in the chapter and
affiliate fundraising. This year, I am hoping that we can have some people
selling NFB Membership Coin holders at Washington Seminar.

We are asking that requests are submitted no later than Wednesday, January
18, 2023. You should be planning, booking your hotel room and taking
advantage of early transportation discounts.

We want to have a strong showing in Washington and we hope this guidance
clarifies the process. However, if you have questions, I am glad to address
them.

 Tracy Soforenko

 <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

202-285-4595