[NFBV-Announce] So much going on and zoom

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 03:43:30 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Only one more week until National Convention! Looking forward to seeing
everyone either in person or via zoom! Yeah!

Kudos Corner.

Let's hear it for Michael Casey. Read below to learn how Michael is helping
to educate and advance independent voting Michael did send a  picture but it
did not transfer well. The picture was of Michael with an independent voting
machine used by blind and other print disabled people.

appearing in the Free Lance Star on June 22.

My name is Michael Kasey, a Blind leader in the NFB of Virginia.  I
presently serve as the President of the Fredericksburg Area Chapter NFBV.  I
have served as an election official for the city in Fredericksburg for over
20 years.  My main responsibility has been to assist those that want to use
the Voting device for those that are Blind or have other disabilities.  The
device allows people to mark their ballot privately and independently.  This
year, I served for the Republican 7th District Congressional Primary
election on June 21.  A local newspaper photographer visited the polling
place and I offered to pose with the voting device for a picture.  It was
published the next day!  I hope many of our Blind friends will be reached by
this and be informed of this opportunity for themselves.  Unfortunately,
many Blind citizens may not exercise their right to vote because they do not
want to let anyone know for whom they vote.  There is an accessible voting
machine In every voting precinct in Virginia.  I encourage people to contact
their Voter Registrar to learn about the devices if they do not already
know.  A discussion with the Registrar about working as an Election Official
in the polls is also a great idea.  You may contact me if you need advice on
what to discuss with the Registrar.  Please share your experiences with me
too.

Lets go build the Federation and set examples for the others as Election
Officials!

michaelgkasey at verizon.net <mailto:michaelgkasey at verizon.net>   mobile
(540)760-388.

Spotlight On.

2022 Scholarship Program

The NFB of Virginia is pleased to announce the launch of its James F. Nelson
merit scholarship program for the academic year 2022-2023. Up to three
scholarships

of $2500.00 will be awarded based on academic achievement, community
engagement, and leadership potential. One of these three scholarships will
be directly

pledged to a qualifying freshman or sophomore.

The NFB of Virginia believes that all blind and vision-impaired students who
apply for a James F. Nelson scholarship can benefit from the experience of

attending the State Convention. The NFBV will cover the reasonable costs
associated with attending the convention for all eligible applicants,
including

a room at the hotel shared with a fellow scholarship applicant, most meals,
the cost of registration, and a banquet ticket. Scholarship applicants
should

work with their local chapters to explore transportation options and should
notify the scholarship committee if they encounter any difficulties.
Convention

related expenses will be reimbursed or covered by the affiliate at the
convention. Please notify the committee if you do not have access to a
credit card

or other means of covering pre-convention costs. Applicants are expected to
pre-register for the gathering to signal their intentions to attend the
state

convention, and to assist the scholarship committee in making hotel
reservations.

Eligibility - Applicants must:

. Be legally blind or have a visual impairment that qualifies them to
receive services under IDEA or from a state vocational rehabilitation
program

. Be a resident of Virginia, or attending an accredited institution of
higher education in Virginia full-time

. Plan to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in the 2022-23
academic year

. Participate in the entire NFB of Virginia in-person state convention at
the Westin Tysons Corner in Falls Church, Virginia and participate in all
scheduled

scholarship program activities to be held October 28 to October 30, 2022

To submit an online application, please visit

https://www.nfbv.org/scholarship

Deadline: Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern
Standard Time on Monday, September 26th, 2022

For any questions, please contact Jimmy Morris.

Email:

jimorris0116 at gmail.com

Phone: (434) 547-2720

Ladies Night is going on vacation this month. Please join the Ladies when
they return in August.

The best and most beautiful things can not be seen or even touched, they
must be felt with the heart -Helen Keller

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want