[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:50:58 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone has had a good week and you have all started this week full
of hope love! Please read below and support your chapters by attending their
meetings in person or virtually.

Kudos Corner.

friends,

I wanted to give you all the latest update regarding Jim. I spoke with the
case manager yesterday and they finally approved him to get moved to another
facility to complete his rehabilitation for physical therapy, occupational
therapy and other services.

Jim is definitely talking and his left side is slowly but surely starting to
move again. I have good hopes that he is determined to get better.

I did explain to him along with the case manager what the next steps will be
and he seems to be in agreement.

This definitely has been a slow but progressive healing for him. I want to
thank you all once again for all your love and support.

I'll keep you all updated as things move forward.

Chris Walker

President, Winchester Chapter

Spotlight On.

All are most welcome to join the Potomac Chapter of the NFB of Virginia on
Zoom for our February meeting, which will include a fascinating discussion
on resilience with Dr. Jean Parker.

Dr. Jean Parker is a researcher, radio journalist, human rights activist and
university professor. She is currently the program manager at the Desert
Rose Bahai Institute in Arizona. She teaches nonprofit management and
development practice at Regis University in Denver and economics and
business for the Wilmette Institute in Chicago. She has been blind since
birth.

Jean's interest in resilience came from her work as a journalist reporting
from throughout the world on social development and human rights. In 2012,
Jean undertook her doctoral research on emergency preparedness education
through community radio in North Indian villages and was awarded her Ph.D.
in integral development from the Da Vinci Institute of South Africa in 2016.
Her book "Emergency Preparedness Through Community Cohesion: An Integral
Approach To Resilience published by Routledge UK, is available on Bookshare.
Today's discussion will focus on what it means to be resilient as blind
people and how our strategies of resilience can contribute to resilience in
policy planning and in our communities.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6025022255

Meeting ID: 602 502 2255

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,6025022255

Special Edition.

The following are the committee reports not read at the Board Meeting.

The Communications Committee.

Hello Everyone and thank you to Wayne Williams , Collin Bruce and Dominique
Lawless for setting up and hosting the zoom for our meeting today. The
Communication Committee is growing every quarter! We have almost 1400 face
book followers, 150 You Tube watchers, new authors sharing their stories on
our Blog and our website is updated with useful tools and resources on a
regular basis! If you see or talk to your Communications Team, Michael
Kitchens, Wayne Williams, Collin Bruce, Oscar Montiel,Jenny Blinsmon and Joe
Oroczo thank them for their hard work and dedication to keeping everyone
informed. If you would like to be apart of a dynamic team and like keeping
members in the know, please contact me to become a member of our team. Thank
you.

Jacki Bruce

The Legislative Committee.

Hello everyone,

Washington Seminar is fast approaching and will be from January 30 to
February 1. Please note that all our Virginia appointments will be January
31 or February 1.

Hopefully those who are staying at the Holiday Inn Capitol have already made
their reservations. Those who are attending appointments on the Hill should
let Deepa know today they are coming, which days they are available for
appointments (Tuesday-Wednesday), their contact info, address, and their
legislative representative if they know. Email Deepa at
<mailto:deepa.goraya at gmail.com> deepa.goraya at gmail.com.

We have some important dates for you to take note of.

January 28: Workshop from 1 to 2 PM on Washington Seminar. We will be going
over teams for appointments and team leads, doing mock appointments, briefly
discussing the three legislative issues, and answering any questions about
Washington Seminar. So please attend this important workshop. Zoom details
will be sent out.

January 30: 2 to 4 PM, issues training conducted by the Legislative Affairs
Team at the Holiday Inn Capitol. This is the important training that will go
in depth into our three legislative priorities for Washington Seminar by the
NFB Legislative Affairs team. Anyone who is attending appointments on the
Hill should attend this training.

January 30: 1 to 3 PM: NFB Career Fair, Holiday Inn Capitol. Deadline to
register is January 19 by 5 PM.

January 30: 5 PM: Great Gathering In.

January 31 through February 1: Appointments on the Hill. Most of our
appointments will be on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Important links:

Here are the links to the Washington Seminar career fair registration,
legislative agenda and the three fact sheets:

 <https://nfb.org/form/career-fair-jobseeker-registration> Job Seeker
Registration Form.

 <https://nfb.org/form/career-fair-employer-registration> Employer
Registration Form.

<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-01/2023_Washington_Seminar_Agenda.
docx> 2023 Washington Seminar Agenda

*
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-01/2023_Legislative_Agenda.docx>
2023 Legislative Agenda (Word)
*
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-01/002_Website_and_Software_Applic
ations_Accessibility_Act_Fact_Sheet_2023.docx> Websites and Software
Applications Accessibility Act (Word)
*
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-01/002_Medical_Device_Nonvisual_Ac
cessibility_Act_Fact_Sheet_2023.docx> Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act (Word)
*
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-01/002_Blind_Americans_Return_to_W
ork_Act_Fact_Sheet_2023.docx> Blind Americans Return to Work Act (Word)

Deepinder K. Goraya, Esq.

Please note: The Greater Williamsburg Chapter will meet on Wednesday,
February 15th . We will resume meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of each month in j

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Blue Ridge Chapter

Woodrow Berry, President

Home: (434) 293-7631

Lynn heart, Treasurer

Cell: (434) 409-8013

E-mail: lmeheart at yahoo.com <mailto:lmeheart at yahoo.com>

Contact chapter for meeting times.

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Red Hot & Blue,
4150 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax 22030.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: Second Tuesday of each month, from 6to 8pm at the Center
Street Grill, 5101 Center Street, Williamsburg 23188. **IMPORTANT!
February's meeting will be on Wednesday, February 15th**

Virtual Meeting Information:

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, My
Neighbor's Pub, 12743 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, 23602.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6025022255

Meeting ID: 602 502 2255

One tap mobile +13017158592,,6025022255 <tel:%20+13017158592,,6025022255>

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM at Ynot
Italian, 1507 Colley Avenue, Norfolk, 23517 (lunch begins at 1 PM).

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

The best way to find out if you can trust someone is to trust them. -Ernest
Hemmingway

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want