[NFBV-Announce] VRCBVI Spring event for students and their parents

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 21:22:14 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

VRCBVI is excited to announce its spring event, GOALS, PURPOSE, SOLUTIONS
(GPS), which will take place on Saturday, June 3.  Please share the flyer
with students between the ages of 7-19 and their families who would benefit
from participation.  It will be a action-packed fun day, designed to
encourage parents and students to explore skills and strategies that will
lead to independence and confidence.

If you have any questions after reading the flyer, please do not hesitate to
let me know.

Thanks and have a great rest of the day.

Melody L. Roane, Director

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, Virginia
Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA  23227

 <mailto:Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov> Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov

Phone: (804) 371-3323 | Fax: (804) 371-3092

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/VDBVI> facebook.org/VDBVI

LinkedIn:
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/virginia-department-for-the-blind-and-visi
on-impaired> linkedin.com/VDBVI

 <http://www.vdbvi.org/> www.vrcbvi.org

G.P.S. - Goals, Purpose, Solutions

Explore the Possibilities at VRCBVI

Where: 401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA 23227

When: Saturday, June 3, 2023

9:00 am to 3:30 pm

The Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired family
cordially invites you to join us for a day of exploration and fun as we
begin to chart new pathways forward! Being blind is not the end of the road;
it's the start of a remarkable journey. It is our goal for you to walk away
from this event with newfound knowledge regarding the range of services
offered at VRCBVI. VRCBVI is your one-stop shop for students who want to
learn the skills and techniques to build confidence and develop leadership
strategies they will take back to their homes and into their communities and
schools. Come find out what skills and characteristics define a truly
confident blind or vision-impaired individual.

VRCBVI's motto is, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the
life you've imagined." This free & fun opportunity for students ages 7-19
and their families will be filled with structured discussions to enhance
success and provide real-life examples of what blind and vision-impaired
people can accomplish. You and your student can explore the possibilities
that are realized when you have the skills you need to be successful and
independent. You can go confidently in the direction of YOUR dreams!

Explorers, we challenge you to come to learn, meet new people, and take your
chances to win exciting prizes throughout the day!

What are you afraid of? Adventure awaits!

SIGN UP BY May 26, 2023!

 <https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2023.html> Click HERE to
Sign Up NOW!

Charting our course for the day:

9:00 am: Registration

9:30 am: Welcome to VRCBVI's G.P.S. Quest

Opening remarks from VRCBVI's Center Director, Melody Roane, LIFE alumni,
and VRCBVI Instructors

10:00 am- 11:00 am: Breakout Session 1

                              Parents & Students: Cooking 101

Hungry for Adventure: Ever wonder how to distinguish between various spices
in the kitchen? Or how blind people can cook safely and independently?
Personal & Home Management allows you to get creative and discover the
importance of meal prepping and time management. Spoiler alert: these skills
translate out of the kitchen and into all aspects of your life.

11:00 am - 11:30 am: Breakout Session 2

                              Parents: O&M

Your Mission. Should You Choose to Accept It: You frequently hear the words
independence and freedom in tandem with Orientation and Mobility. Come see
exactly what that means at VRCBVI. We are ready to discuss the power of the
cane, where it can take you, and how to get there. Just like Lao Tzu once
said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." (And a long
white cane!)

                              Students: Braille & Technology

Follow The Dots: During this session, we will explore practical applications
of Braille in today's employment and academic settings. We will also learn
how to navigate our digital world and tap into technology in unimaginable
and exciting new ways.

11:30 am - 12:00 pm: Breakout Session 3

                              Parents: Braille & Technology

                              Students: O&M

12:00 pm - 1:00 pm: The Grub Hub - Free to all participants in the VRCBVI
cafeteria

1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: What Goes Around Comes Around

Fun activities, games, and networking with VRCBVI staff to learn more about
the skills that lead to success.

2:00 pm - 3:00 pm: Leave Your Mark

Leave Your Mark: It's time to start bragging about yourself! What is a brag
sheet? How do you determine which direction to launch in so you can get the
experience and skills you need to pump up your resume? Our instructors will
discuss ideas that will get you thinking about how you can reach your
maximum potential.

3:00 pm - 3:30 pm:  Journey Forward

Closing remarks, discussion, questions, and recap from Melody Roane, VRCBVI
Instructors, and past students.

SIGN UP BY May 26, 2023!

 <https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/SpringEvent2023.html> Click HERE to
Sign Up NOW!

For additional information or questions, please contact VRCBVI's Community
Engagement Coordinator, William Sutton Jr. at
<mailto:William.Sutton at dbvi.virginia.gov> William.Sutton at dbvi.virginia.gov
or 804-371-3204.