[NFBV-Blind-Parents] Blind Parent in Virginia Beach

Louise Walch louisewalch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 03:28:59 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I’m new to the list and also new to Virginia. I’m from Australia but
afterseveral years of  living in several US states, most recently
North Carolina,  I moved to Virginia Beach this summer with my husband
and three girls, 9, 7, and 3. I’m looking forward to finding out what
blind parents live in my area.

I’m also one of the moderators for the Blind Parents Connect facebook
group, another NFB supported resource.

The National Federation of the Blind has been a great blessing in my
life, particularly because of the people who encouraged me to start
using a cane, which I used to avoid, but now I wouldn’t spend a minute
without it. I remember being afraid to walk out my door, which is so
ironic since I traveled all the way across the world, but after a lot
of initial encouragement and fortunately some excellent training from
the Louisiana Center for the Blind, getting out and about with three
little kids is not that big a deal except in the ways that it is to
other parents.

Now that it’s so cold, it seems like eons ago that I was walking my
little gaggle of girls to the beach pulling my youngest in the
stroller behind and using my cane up front. Now we are getting ready
to tackle Bush Gardens Christmas Town this weekend.

Please continue introducing yourselves and consider sharing the best
resources you have found as a blind parent. Yes, perhaps you are
experiencing some fears right now, so share those, or perhaps you
could share what has contributed most to your success thus far.

Merry Christmas to those of you celebrating with me, and happy holidays to all.

Louise Walch
Blind mom of three girls
Virginia Beach