[Nfbv-fairfax] chapter outing to an audio described play this fall?

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:49:58 UTC 2018

Anyone in the mood for an audio described play this fall? Here are some options.

1st State Tysons theater - a small professional theater off of Spring Hill Road in Tysons.  I thought you all might enjoy performances that are audio described.  They have scheduled description for the season.  .  A couple of enticing things about 1st Stage are:
= Pretty close to the Spring Hill Metro stop
=  Less expensive taxi/Uber/Lyft rides  than going all the way downtown
=  Free parking
=. Low ticket cost (under $40)

Below are titles, descriptions, and dates for the plays this season.  The describer is from Washington Ear.  If you have further questions, you can contact the box office at http://www.1ststagetysons.org<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1ststagetysons.org&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf443a86006d2431703dd08d6052ae19b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636702079062622925&sdata=tHyjjYtIKaxv%2B1qwJ%2BXh%2FXPMZjHLJ1BskvNKIS%2Bl0ts%3D&reserved=0>.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in a chapter outing to a local play. Possibly the one with a Christmas theme.
John Bailey
John_bailey17 at hotmail.com<mailto:John_bailey17 at hotmail.com>

September 6-October 7, 2018
HERO'S WELCOME by Alan Ayckbourn
Directed by Alex Levy
In this regional premiere of the play by one of Britain's most celebrated playwrights, a decorated military hero returns home after 17 years to a town he left amidst rumors of arson, infidelity, and abandonment. With his new wife in tow, secrets and old scores emerge and are settled in bedrooms, town halls, and on the shooting range. Tony Award winner Alan Ayckbourn's dark comedy gives us "warm characters and crafty storytelling" (Daily Mail, UK) as it hurtles toward a shocking and poignant conclusion.

Audio Described Performance: Saturday, September 15 at 2pm

November 29-December 23, 2018
A CIVIL WAR CHRISTMAS by Paula Vogel
Directed by Deidra LaWan Starnes
It's 1864 and Washington, D.C. is settling down to the coldest Christmas Eve in years. "History lessons and holiday warmth sit cozily alongside each other" (The New York Times) in this pageant of carols by Paula Vogel, the Pulitzer Prize-winning writer of Indecent. Stories of many intertwining lives- spanning from the battlegrounds of Northern Virginia to the halls of the White House- demonstrate that the gladness of one's heart is the best gift of all. This "rich and moving play with music" (Variety) is a treat the whole family will enjoy.

Audio Described Performance: Saturday, December 8 at 2pm

January 31-February 24, 2019
THE BROTHERS SIZE by Tarell Alvin McCraney
Directed by José Carrasquillo
>From the co-creator of the Academy Award-winning film Moonlight comes a profoundly compelling story of family, devotion, and belonging. Deep in the Louisiana bayou, the hardworking and steady, Ogun Size, is reunited with his aimless younger brother recently released from prison. Flights of poetry, music, and West African mythology combine in a one-of-a-kind experience that delivers "the greatest piece of writing by an American playwright under 30 in a generation or more." (The Chicago Tribune).

Audio Described Performance: Saturday, February 9 at 2pm

March 28-April 20, 2019
COLUMBINUS by Stephen Karam and PJ Paparelli
Directed by Alex Levy and Juan Francisco Villa
Coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the tragic 1999 massacre at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, this docudrama combines fact and fiction to illuminate the dark realities of adolescence. Weaving together excerpts of real interviews with parents, survivors, and community leaders and powerful characterizations of contemporary teens, columbinus thoughtfully explores the Columbine shooting and the conversations that continue to this day. The New York Post hailed columbinus as "a powerful and important piece about the churning rage that's all too likely to bubble over again."

Audio Described Performance: Saturday, April 6 at 2pm

May 9-June 2, 2019
THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING by Carson McCullers
Directed by Cara Gabriel
In 1946 rural Georgia, the long, hot days of summer bring struggle, longing, and opportunity for 12-year-old Frankie Addams and her family's housekeeper Bernice Sadie Brown. Frankie longs to escape with her newlywed brother on adventures in the Alaskan wilderness. Bernice struggles to balance enduring the deeply entrenched racism of the rural South with her role as surrogate mother to Frankie and her 6-year-old cousin. Adapted from the beloved novel of the same name, this evocative, poetic coming of age drama explores the pains of youth and the meaning of family.

Audio Described Performance: Saturday, May 18 at 2pm

July 11-21, 2019
3rd Annual Logan Festival of Solo Performance
This one-of-a-kind festival features national, award-winning solo performers for two weeks of outstanding performances.

Audio Described Performance(s): TBA