[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] No Party Today

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Sat Dec 9 12:44:41 UTC 2017

The library is closed.  As of yesterday afternoon, when I talked to the meeting room manager, these are the remaining alternatives.  She does not expect any of these alternatives to disappear if I call her Monday morning.

We can reschedule our party for Thursday evening, December 28, from 6:00 to 8:30.  If we do that, we can bring suitable foods for a full dinner.  The kitchen,  which is right next to our meeting room, has a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.  Personally, I am not inclined toward this alternative because it is a late December evening, and some people might still have to go to work the next morning even if it is the week between Christmas and January 1.

The meeting room manager and I are far more inclined toward Saturday, December 30.  'We have two  choices.  Either we could schedule our party at exactly the same time it would have been today )3 to 5 p.m.) or we could start much earlier and have a real lunch.  I think, if necessary, we could get a little more time that way to complete all our business unhurriedly.  At that time, if possible, we need to get a start on planning for Richmond and Washington seminars.  The Richmond Seminar is most urgent because its date this year  is January 15.  If absolutely necessary, we can plan for the Washington Seminar at our January meeting.  We already have our Congressional appointment scheduled.

There is one more possibility we could consider.  If too many people will be away the last week in December, we could schedule our regular chapter meeting, perhaps even our belated holiday party, the first Saturday in January.  We could have it at Salem Church, or even return to the central library where we have our usual monthly meetings.  I recommend leaving this event at Salem  Church.  Much to my surprise, the accommodations appear far more appealing.  The available meeting rooms sound like they are considerably more spacious and, reportedly, everything we need is easily accessible.

This is not the first time snow interfered with our holiday party.  It happened at least once when Michael was our  chapter president.  he decided to proceed with business on the usual schedule and wait until winter was over before arranging a date in March for our annual dinner meeting.  That, too, is an alternative.

Based on the information given to me in response to this email, I will make a decision about our postponed December meeting no later than Monday morning.  Otherwise, we might not have some of the above mentioned alternatives.  Please call or email me with your preferences.  Meanwhile, the chapter and I extend to everyone our best wishes for a happy Hanukah or a merry Christmas.