[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] Crier September 18th

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 21:14:13 UTC 2020

FREDERICKSBURG CRIER September 18th

Extra – Extra – The Crier has just been supersededby an announcement. I am going to leave the Crier as it is but remember tomorrow;smeeting has been rescheduled  for nextSaturday. I hope most of the information is still useful.

     Olla – Welcome toour latest Crier I try to put out a Crier at least once a month prior to ourmonthly meeting and then when I see something that I believe would be valuableto our members. I did not think I would get one out because after updatingWindows, my Zoomtext went bonkers. I was left with a computer that was a greatpaperweight. Luckily I figured out how to fix it without expert help. I am notalways that lucky. I use Zoomtext because that is what I learned 14 years agowhen my eye sight was going and I needed help. I happened to trip over Zoomtextand my principal at the Spotsylvania Career and Technical Center bought it forme. I took it with me when I retired and even went to a class offered by AiSquaredto learn more. Unfortunately I never learned JAWS. Later Zoomtexxt and JAWS  became available as a merged program calledFUSION when AiSquared and Freedom Scientific merged.  I have never gone to this program but a personin that twilight zone between sighted and Low Vision/Blind might find Fusionvery useful. I am sorry if my personal story of my screen reader problems andthe history behind that screen reader was not very exciting but I wanted toshare another possible solution for you or someone you know is starting to needhelp reading or doing their job.

     Unfortunately we have not been able to meet inperson and it looks like that will not change any time soon. In this Crier wewill mention the upcoming state convention, the treasurer’s report, and awebsite to get some training for the Mac and Ios  devices. I do not know much about Androiddevices but I believe the consensus in the BVI community is that the Apple Iosdevices are the most accessible.

TREASURER’s Report

     The last report was on August 12th. The balance reported was $2,548.75 today’s balance is $2568.75. Below are the transactions.

|  |

    8/11/2020

debit

regular monthly

-10

2598.75

|  |

|  |

8/14/2020

debit

state PAD

-50

2548.75

|  |

|  |

8/20/2020

deposit

Donation

80

2628.75

|  |

9/11/2020

debit

Regular monthly

-10

2618.75

|  |

|  |

9/14/2020

debit

State PAD

-50

2568.75

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

 Michael Kasey sent out an email yesterday withinformation on how to join the Zoom meeting. Please use it and join ustomorrow.  Sue and I will be there forthe beginning of the meeting but we will have to leave almost immediately.  A member of our parish who was a WWII veterandied recently and his service is Saturday morning.  He was also a member of the Knights ofColumbus and it is incumbent on us to attend the service. Please feel free tosend us any valuable information that was shared during the meeting.

Have yousigned up for the convention?  If not,please make sure you do ASAP.  There willbe some interactive parts that you might want to get involved in.

Finally, Iwould like to point out a couple of Blind Abilities podcasts that could be ofgreat value to you, especially if you are an Apple Mac and/or Ios user.  Below are the addresses that you can accessthe podcasts or you can always use your smart device to access BlindAbilities.Remember, when you are using your smart device, you can ask it to go back oneepisode or more. There are a lot of episodes of Blind Abilities.The episode youwant is

Mac ForThe Blind: Instructional Courses for Anything Apple – Meet John Panarese.

Or go directlyto Macforthetheblind.com

    The other Blind Abilities podcast is ThatTech Abilities Show. In this podcast they discuss the recent Apple introductionevent and some useful information on television.

Check itout. There is also a podcast called That Blind Tech Show. You might research itif you want to take advantage of all the tech available to our community. Iknow tech can be expensive but it sure can make life a bit easier.

     Please remember that my contactinformation is below.

Dick Byrne– 804-238-5608 rtbyrne at aol.com

    Please stay safe and be well “until we meetagain.”” How many of you are old enough to remember what TV show had a songthat ended with that line. Should we have a contest to see who remembers?

     One more important note. Carl’s closesaround November 15th each year. If you want some of that creamygoodness, do not wait till our November meeting they will probably be closed.