[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Richmond Seminar

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Dec 4 18:44:17 UTC 2018

Hello,

Below is the announcement of this year's Richmond seminar.

We had a great response from the Potomac and other local chapters in 2018 and hope to do better this year.

I need to know how many persons will need transportation from this area to the hotel in Richmond and return.  I do not have a price at this time, but expect the round trip price will be better than train and Uber to and from the hotel.  We plan to make several stops between Arlington and Richmond, if there is demand.  We will either contract with a transportation company or rent a large van and hire a driver depending on interest.

Please let me know of your interest by January 6.

Below is the Virginia State affiliate Richmond Seminar announcement.

John

1st Legislative Reminder: Richmond Seminar

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a powerful force advocating for blind Virginians. Please join us for the Richmond Seminar on January 21-22, 2019 to ensure our voice is heard in the offices of the General Assembly.

If you have never attended a Richmond Seminar, we strongly encourage you to attend and participate in representative democracy in action. Everyone is assigned to a team with an experienced leader. The General Assembly members and their staff are very receptive and welcoming. They know we are organized, articulate, and well versed in the subject matter.

We will put everyone on the team to work, sharing our issues and answering the questions of legislators and their staff.

The issues we will bring to Richmond are still under consideration but will most likely include:

*             Expanding resources for the Virginia Department for the Blind and

Vision Impaired;

*             Disabled Parents Bill of Rights; and

*             Ensuring an equal education for blind and low vision students.

The final list of issues will be presented at the board meeting on Monday, January 21. We have bills being drafted that will need co-sponsors. Chapter Presidents should make contact with their General Assembly members in their local offices before the end of the year. If you need assistance in identifying them, contact Tracy Soforenko.

A meeting with our elected legislators in their home districts will go a long way in establishing the recognition that is needed for our visit to Richmond. All Chapter members are encouraged to participate. If you intend on doing a meeting or need help setting one up, please contact Tracy Soforenko.

Our board meeting is scheduled for 1:00 PM Monday afternoon, January 21, which is Martin Luther King Day.  A lunch will be available at the cafeteria on the premises. The Board Meeting will be held in the large conference room at the Library and Resource Center on the DBVI campus on Azalea Avenue in Richmond.

Our General Assembly visits will be Tuesday, January 22. The affiliate will reimburse transportation expenses and hotel expenses.

Chapter presidents should arrange cost effective transportation for their chapter members. Individuals are expected to share hotel rooms and must obtain hotel reservations themselves at the NFB of Virginia rate. If you need assistance identifying a room share, please contact Joe Orozco via

email: jsorozco at gmail.com<mailto:jsorozco at gmail.com>.

Hotel rooms are available at the Delta Hotel.) The complete contact information is:

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown

555 East Canal Street

Richmond, VA 23219

The group rate is $129 plus applicable taxes. You may begin making reservations at any time by calling the reservations line at 844-781-7397and referencing NFBVA. Please note reservations must be made no later than Sunday, January 6, 2019. Note guests will receive a $10 discount toward parking.

If you run into any problems with making reservations or need assistance at the hotel, please call our Operations Coordinator, Joe Orozco.

Chapter presidents must provide an initial list of the names of the individuals planning to attend from their chapter to Tracy by Sunday, January 6, 2019 and additional names as they are known so we can establish and update teams in advance.

Finally, if anyone in your chapter is interested in being a team leader, have them reach out to Tracy directly. If you have any questions, please contact Tracy Soforenko: 202-285-4595, or via email at:

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>.