[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Member of Congress Don Beyer Telephone Town Hall

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Apr 30 15:25:56 UTC 2019

Good Morning all,

Yesterday afternoon we received an automated phone call from member of Congress Don Beyer's office.  The call invited us to participate in a town Hall meeting sponsored by Congressman Beyer this afternoon, April 30, at 6:00 PM.  At 6:00 PM our phone will ring and when we answer we will be part of the call.

I suspect some of you also received this automated message.  I urge you to participate.

If you did not receive the call, I understand you still may be able to participate.  You may call Congressman Beyer's office on 202-225-4376 and ask to be made part of the call.

There is a chance that one of us may be able to ask the Congressman a question.  Sandy consulted with our Government Affairs office and it was suggested we request the Congressman to cosponsor The Transformation to Competitive Employment Act HR873.  This important bill was sponsored by Representative Bobby Scott of Virginia.  This bill will phase out subminimum wages for certain persons with disabilities.

Here is some suggested language you may wish to use.

My name is and I am a constituent of Representative Beyer and live in Arlington VA.  I am calling to urge you to cosponsor Hr. 873, the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act.  This bill would phase out subminimum wages for people with disabilities over a six-year period, at which point Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the provision that allows this practice, would be sunset.  Again, I urge you to cosponsor this legislation.

I think that only his constituents should attempt to make this request.

John Halverson