[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] FW: NFBV Potomac Chapter Minutes January 9, 2020

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 27 14:48:07 UTC 2020

Here are our January minutes.

Thank you Christine.

From: Christine Grassman [mailto:cfgrassman at icloud.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:57 AM
To: John Halverson <jwh100 at outlook.com>
Subject: NFBV Potomac Chapter Minutes January 9, 2020

Potomac Chapter Minutes January 9, 2020:
The meeting was called to order by President John Halverson at 7:00 PM with 17 people present.
The evening’s question was: What is the best thing about being blind?
Answers ranged from Braille (reading in the dark), meeting wonderful people, the Randolph Sheppard program as a job opportunity, spending the money from this job opportunity, giving a life purpose not always open to others, sex, several discussed the NFB community: meeting a cross-section of the population who shared blindness, the community work and travel involved, being able to walk and run in the dark, an awareness of justice and injustice, life always provides a challenge, made a shy person tougher, the philosophy of the NFB and all it teaches us. There was also discussion about how the was not really anything best or worst about being blind; it was a characteristic in life, and it mattered more who you were and how you handled it, as well as your life circumstances, especially support systems, education, expectations, or lack thereof.
In addition, because of the NFB’s activities and the need to be an advocate, many blind people appreciate the political knowledge and astuteness this brings.
Presidential Release 490 was played. The Washington Seminar will occur between February 10 and February 12, with division meetings occurring early Monday and the Great GAthering-in at 5:00 PM, all at the Holiday In n Capitol. Any questions, contact John Pare at ext. 2218 at the National Center or jpare at nfb.org There are fact sheets for our three issues on the web site:
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda

GAIN received a boost in December with the introduction of S.3095.
It is not too early to make reservations for the 2020 National Convention: July 14-19 in Houston. See the December Braille Monitor and web site for details.
The hotel, Hilton Americas, is a streamlined hotel, has dining options, with plenty of other options in the vicinity. It is across from a 12-acre Discovery green park.
Room rate (105, 8.25 percent sales tax, 17 percent occupancy tax)  include in-room Internet, a fitness center, and pool on the 23rd floor.  Details about this and the overflow Marriott three blocks away are all available in the Monitor and on our web site.
Book with a credit card by calling 800 236-2905 Please obtain door prizes and bring them with you or send them to the host affiliate

Norma Crosby, 1600 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77010

Goals and Priorities:
These continue to be in line with last year’s published strategic plan: membership, education, employment, advocacy, and outreach.
Fund-raising is vital. The organization cannot do its work without it.
Web site updates, streaming conventions, the conventions themselves, scholarships, being on the Hill, publications, and so on.

NFBV President Tracy Soforenko reminded all about the deadline for the Jernigan scholarships and our McDonald fellowships   for first-time attendees to national convention; deadline April 15; applicants will need recommendation letters.  Tracy also stressed the importance of subscribing to the Braille Monitor.

Tip for convention: Southwest and others have nonstop flights from DCA to Houston, but fly into Hobby (HOU),  because Bush airport is considerably further.
Our auction is being planned for March 21; save the date.
We need contributions, a venue, an auctioneer. Laura is available for the 21st.
Billie Ruth Schlank has venue.
John will send letters updated for 2020 and the affiliate’s 501(c)3 You, your family, friends, colleagues, and your hard-earned money are needed.
Have items donated; we will need food and refreshments as well.
The more merchants contribute, the more money we raise.
We need money for the state convention.
Hospitality and childcare are particularly expensive.
A STAR representative will be available at the February meeting.
Membership: Christine, Sandy, and Nancy will look at records.
It is time to collect annual dues; in the next month or two, we will update our list.
We will have another spring picnic; consensus is to cater it and charge a fee like the Alexandria holiday party; easier cleanup; control of and knowledge of what is going to be available and the amount.
We are planning this for late May: Nick, Sean, Georgia, Arielle, and Kassahun offered to work to put it together.
The meeting concluded with some discussion of pending arrangements for Richmond seminar, which, at the time of this writing, is past.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,
Christine Faltz Grassman
Recording Secretary