[Nj-diabetes-division] Wrong File Went out.

eileen scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Jun 23 13:33:09 UTC 2012

The first attachment I sent out was the wrong recipe.  I’m sorry, my computer keeps selecting the wrong file when I select and click on them for various tasks.

So, I am re-attaching and will just paste in to the body of this message my own recipe for cucumber Salad.  Sorry about that first message, I forgot I even had that one on my computer.

Eileen’s Cold marinated Cucumber or Celery Salad

This can be made with either Cucumbers or celery.  When I make a batch I don’t mix the cucumbers & celery; its either only cucumbers or only celery chunks, but you can make it up as you like.  It is super simple using only 4 ingredients and requires no special cooking skills.  Served cold on a hot day its very light & refreshing.

Also, I’m not one to get excited over vinegar, but I stumbled upon the Alessi White Balsamic Raspberry Blush at my local ShopRight and it adds a really nice touch.  It comes in two other flavors, one is with orange and the other is ginger.  I have yet to try either of these.  If you can’t find this brand, substitute another brand of balsamic vinegar that you like.

This salad is very light and refreshing in hot summer weather.  If you’re a single person and not making it for a family, you can reduce the quantity to 1 or 2 cucumbers or only a few stalks of celery.  Once I use up a batch of the veggies the solution that is left over can be reused for some new cut veggies – it doesn’t go bad.  The Alessi Vinegar can be a bit on the pricey side -- $3 & change for an 8.5 ounce bottle, but it is worth it in my opinion and it can be reused.  At some point, though, you will find the vinegar solution loses its strength and then its time to mix up from scratch again.

Ingredients:

3 medium size cucumbers or ½ to 1 full bunch of celery.

½ packet of Good Season’s Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix, Italian.

½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

1 Cup Alessi White Balsamic Raspberry Blush Vinegar.

Directions:

First, wash thoroughly all vegetables under cold water.  Celery especially holds a lot of dirt down at the base of the inner stalks.  Then peal and trim as needed.  For cucumbers cut into slices, for celery cut into about 1 inch chunks.  Place all the cut veggies into a large Rubbermaid or Tupperware container that has a well-fitting lid.

Next, measure a half a cup of the olive oil and pour onto the veggies.  Then, measure 1 cup of the Alessi brand of Raspberry Blush Vinegar and pour over the veggies.  Add in approximately one half of a packet of Good Season’s Salad Dressing Italian Mix.

Using a spoon, gently stir around the veggies and other ingredients.  If you have a container with a well-fitting lid you can gently shake the container over a sink to help mix it all up.  Place in refrigerator to chill and absorb the flavors.   The longer it chills the better the flavor.

Nutritional Information from the Good Season’s Box:

Protein per serving 0G

Sugar per serving less than 1G

Carbohydrates per serving 1G

Sodium per serving 320Mg

Trans fat per serving 0G

Total Fat calories per serving 0

Calories per serving 5

Servings per container 40

Serving size 0.125 envelope

Nutritional Information from the 8.5 Oz. bottle of Alessi White Balsamic Raspberry Blush Vinegar:

Protein per serving 0G

Sugar per serving 4G

Carbohydrates per serving 5G

Sodium per serving 0MG