[Nj-diabetes-division] {Spam?} Can Coffee Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels?

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Thu May 12 19:03:34 UTC 2016

I thought some of you might be interested in this article regarding coffee & type 2.  I’ll post the link where I got it from, originally an Ariva Medical Newsletter which you can subscribe to if you like it:

http://www.type2nation.com/treatment/can-coffee-lower-your-blood-sugar-levels/

article
Can Coffee Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels?

Published on April 18th, 2016 | by Emma Dunn

Type_2_nation_coffee_lower_blood_sugar_300px
A new study suggests that a cup of coffee a day may help you manage your Type 2 diabetes, according to a
Medical Daily
report. (Of course, the study was funded by the National Coffee Association, which is a pretty pro-coffee research group.)

The long-term study, published in the
International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences,
measured the blood sugar levels of 90 people with Type 2, 48 of whom were regular coffee drinkers. This was part of a larger study examining the effects
of coffee on long-term health.

After 16 years, coffee drinkers with Type 2 had 20 percent lower blood sugar levels than non-coffee drinkers with Type 2, according to the research findings.
(This improvement is so strikingly large that one can only hope it will be replicated in future studies.) Researchers believe coffee helps combat insulin
resistance because it is filled with an an antioxidant called
chlorogenic
acid, which may slow the release of glucose into the bloodstream.

There is a cottage industry of research to make us feel good about drinking coffee, and sometimes the results can seem too good to be true. (After all,
coffee drinkers don’t live forever.) More research will probably be needed before doctors regularly prescribe coffee for people with diabetes who are having
trouble with blood sugar control.

Still if you are a regular coffee drinker, and you drink this magic elixir in moderation, think of this study’s findings next time you take your first
sip in the morning.

Thanks for reading this Insulin Nation article. Want more Type 1 news?
Subscribe here.

Have Type 2 diabetes or know someone who does? Try
Type 2 Nation,
our sister publication.