[Njabs-talk] My Youth Slam experience

Benjamin Vercellone skimanbe at optonline.net
Tue Feb 24 20:07:13 UTC 2009

They this is Ben Vercellone.  I attended the Youth Slam in 2007.  It
was a lot of fun, and I was in the rocket team.  When I got there, I
was immediately aware that this was an NFB oriented place because
everybody had that Can Do attitude.  I participated in building a
rocket, which flew 331 feet into the air.  I knew this only because I
was trained how to operate the altitude sensor, as well as how to build
rockets.   I had already been to space camp twice in my life, because I
used to want to be an astronaut.  I made a good friend, Josh Harper
from Tennessee.  This was the biggest highlight, as we still talk to
this day.  I also benefitted greatly in my outlook.  I grew in my
confidence from the Youth Slam, and I was honored to actually sit to
the left of Dr. Betsy Zaborowski toward the end.  This was certainly
another highlight.  I recommend this event to any high school student
who does not yet have any plans for this summer.  I hope that you make
many new friends if you chose to go, and I hope that you become more
independent.
Thank you for listening,
Ben