[nobe-l] record keeping programs

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Fri Dec 5 00:08:31 UTC 2008

Hi, Darrell. It's great that you are trying to plan ahead for the next stage
in your career. I have a few suggestions. First, you should find out how
your district provides reasonable accommodations. In other words, is there a
specific procedure you need to use in order to get them. for better or for
worse, state government and public school districts often have specific
peple who are responsible for the accommodation process. You should find out
what company makes the product the school district will be using. Then, call
the company yourself and ask what they know about its accessibility. Also,
call Freedom Scientific about the product and ask about any experience they
have had with it. I also suggest you see if there is a way you can try out
the product by getting a dummy version from the company for a short trial.
If the program seems accessible, great. If not, you will need to decide how
you want to handle that. You could ask the district to hire a reader to
assist with  record keeping or you could decide to hire the reader,
yourself.

It is reasonable for you to ask for JAWS to be loaded onto a computer. That
said, I have chosen to handle this myself in my current job. I just told
them I needed to load JAWS onto my work computer so I would have access.
Since I already own JAWS for home use, there was no reason I couldn't also
use it on a work computer. My employer had no experience with this, so I
handled it myself. All I requested was administrative priveliges so I could
load JAWS, Duxbury, and Kurzweil onto it. I have asked my employer to pay
for upgrades to Duxbury and Kurzweil. Fortunately, I'm the disability
services director at a university, so I'm basically determining and
implementing my own accommodations.

Bottom line, do not assume or expect anything. Instead, decide what you want
to request as accommodations and take responsibility for their
implementation. Don't be demanding, but do be respectfully assertive.
Generally, I've found I need to do my own research on how accessible
specific software programs will be. It's not realistic to expect my employer
to have that knowledge. Besides, I'd rather interact with them about my job
than about my disability, whenever possible.

Best wishes and feel free to email if you want more input.

Kathy McGillivray