[nobe-l] Question concerning keeping track of grades

Carolyn Brock mmebrock at SpiritOne.com
Tue Nov 18 16:03:13 UTC 2008

Hi,
    Microsoft Excel is one example of several programs which will
work with a screenreader.  The problem is that more and more school
districts are using district-wide grading systems, with the
expectation that teachers upload their grades directly into the
system.  If your district is considering adopting such a network, you
will need to contact the software company directly and get
information from them.  Of course, their tech-support  people cannot
be expected to know what will work with a screenreader, or indeed
even what a screenreader is.  Ask if the program is text-based, as
opposed to graphic or image-based.  Screenreaders will work well only
on a text-based program.  Even if your district goes to a network
which is not screenreader compatible, you may be able to find another
program which will work for you and which can be uploaded into the
district's network.  But it will take some serious research on your
part to find the solution and then get the district to work with you
in getting what is necessary and setting it up properly.
    As school districts go more and more to computerized records and
also increasingly to district-wide networks, it is essential for
blind teachers to be informed as to what will or will not work for
them.  Stay vigilant on this issue!
Carolyn