[nobe-l] Hello and question

Carolyn Brock mmebrock at SpiritOne.com
Mon Oct 27 21:02:52 UTC 2008

Faith and others,
    I taught high school French and English in a public high school
for twenty years after losing my sight (and about ten years
before).  I would suggest that you make an effort to observe the
classrooms of teachers who have a reputation for being successful,
regardless of the subjects they teach.  Good teaching techniques go
across disciplines and even age levels.  A difficult task for any
beginning teacher is to develop a sort of "teacher persona"
consisting of techniques that work for that individual.  Good
teachers are a strong presence in the classroom and engage the
interest of the students.  Having supervised many university students
in the "pre-teaching observation" and also student teachers, one of
the things they are most reluctant to do is observe other classes;
yet it is one of the most valuable experiences for them--especially
after they have some teaching experience and know what the pitfalls
are for themselves individually.
    As both a sighted and later a blind teacher, I found the most
successful method was simply to keep the students engaged.  Just
talking at them for the whole class period is almost a guaranteed
disaster, with the exception of college-level lecture courses.  They
need to be interacting with each other as well as with the teacher,
preparing a specific task with partners or in small groups.  They
also need the chance to move around once in a while, not just as a
"break" from classwork, but rather as part of an activity
incorporated into the lesson plan.
    The teacher needs to be in the middle of all this, sometimes
directing the discussion or activity, sometimes observing it.  Learn
to listen to the students on the other side of the room from you; the
ones right under your nose will almost certainly be behaving
properly.  Memorize the names of the students before you meet them
for the first time, and use their names often.  Be pro-active rather
than reactive when you sense that something inappropriate is
beginning.  Often saying something as simple as, "Hey, Josh, are you
with us on this?" is enough to draw the errant student back into the
class activity.  If you do need to confront one or more students
about chronic misbehavior, absolutely do not do it in front of the
whole class.  Take them into the hall, keep them after class, make
them give up their lunch period to come eat lunch with you and
discuss the problem.  (Middle and high schoolers really hate giving
up lunch time with their friends!)
    All of us who have been in the trenches for years have a
gazillion tips, and Mary is right to direct you to the archives.  And
stay on this list!
Carolyn