[nobe-l] questions about observing students.

Michelle Creedy michelle.creedy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:25:23 UTC 2012

Hi Jenna

Do you know if the students concerned are ones who often engage in the
behaviors you are trying to avoid? If so, can you give them some
specific positive tasks to do like teachers who ask a child to be the
special helper for the day? I'm wondering if the behavior is
attention-seeking and in this way, they will be getting attention for
the positive rather than for the negative.

Also, can you have a conversation with the student and say that you
have noticed them doing such and such and see if they can tell you a
little more about the reasons behind it? I've done this quite
successfully and if it is done in a non-judgmental way it can work.
All depends though because sometimes what you are dealing with is an
actual behavioral matter that can be somewhat neurologically based and
therefore not as controlable by the student.

I guess I'm always wondering why people do things. They may not know
but you might be able to determine by when it happens that it is at a
certain point in the day or during a particular subject.

Just some thoughts. Hope they are helpful and hope people post more on
the list about it.

Michelle

--
Michelle Creedy