[nobe-l] Tactle graphics and other questions related tolinguisticsand TESL courses

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 8 04:00:51 UTC 2015

Hi,
That's right heather; APH does make several drawing kits.
I'm not sure if they still have the one with the tracing wheel.
APH products can be expensive. If you can afford something over 100 dollars,
you can get some pretty good products with lots of stuff in  the kit for use
of many things.

They make the draftsman kit which is a thereform paper on a board with a
special stylus which raises your drawing.
They also make something that I think is so useful for diagrams, maps and
charts.
It’s the wheatley drawing kit.
The weately kit is a felt board with many shapes and lines. you stick the
material on the board  you want to use. Its all velcrow so your design is
not permanent, btw.
The material is several shapes such as squares, circles, and triangles.
Also several different lengths of lines.
You can make  various pictures with the weatley by placing the material in
various places.
If you cannot afford the products or you cannot find what you're looking
for, you can make cheap tactile diagrams out of everyday craft supplies.
For something temporary, you can use wickey sticks. You could also  use
popsickle sticks or tooth picks and have someone glue them down for
something more permanent, but you cannot represent round stuff with them.
I've also  had people use graphic art tape, but its harder to make round
shapes with them.

About excel, I think it might do diagrams, but you could not create them,
you would need help to have someone draw it with a mouse.
There probably is some free software out there to create such diagrams.
And, there used to be a lady on here who taught ESL. If she is not here, she
definitely will be found on the nfb site as she wrote an article or two
about it.

HTH,
Ashley