[nobe-l] Running records?

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 22:44:24 UTC 2018

Hello Valerie,

First, let me encourage you. It is so important during this period of your
teacher training to remember that you are currently working under the worst
conditions you will ever have to manage. You are working in someone else's
classroom, with students who have not been in your class and learned the way
you run your classroom as a blind teacher. Classrooms are not laid out as
you would probably lay out yours, equipment is not marked in braille or
organised as you would like it organised.
You are not permitted to structure activities so that they are most suited
to your functioning as a blind teacher but are being required, in many
instances, to use methods and do assignments that are designed to work for
sighted student teachers.
With this in mind, it is vital that you advocate strongly for yourself and
present them with the argument that you are supposed to be developing
competence as a teacher during this time. Therefore, you should be extended
maximum opportunity to develop strategies that work for a blind teacher.
instead of being required to use methods that actively discriminate against
you because they rely on sight to work.
Take the opportunity to say things like, "I know you wouldn't want to be
discriminating against me due to my blindness, so it's my understanding that
you would want to work with me to develop and/or use nonvisual strategies
and techniques that enable a blind teacher to acquire the same assessment
information as sighted student teachers. Am I correct in this
understanding?"
This will make them have the discussion with you and see their behaviour in
it's true light. They need to see that it is their job to train you as a
teacher who has techniques to do your job, whether they are the techniques
they're used to, or whether they're nonvisual techniques that you bring to
the task at hand. As long as the techniques work.

I would encourage you not to be intimidated or buckle to their pressure to
use the methods they are insisting you use, simply because sighted students
use them, and they can't come up with a suitable alternative nonvisual
technique themselves. You must insist on what will work for you.
For example, if they say you can't record students, but you decide that
recording is the best technique for you to complete an assignment, then it
is vital that you insist. Propose some ideas to them. For example, suggest
that you could listen to the recordings and do the assessments in the same
classroom where they're recorded and erase them before you leave. Or, you
could volunteer to write a note to the parents of the students in the class,
explaining that you're a blind student doing your practicum and requesting
their permission for you to make brief recordings of their children reading
so that you can complete your reading assessment assignments. You can assure
the parents that all recordings would be erased by the morning  of the next
day after recording. While you may not need to go this far, being prepared
to show that you're willing to do so if it ensures you're allowed to use
methods that work for you as a blind teacher, will show your professors that
you are determined to make practicum teaching a time that is useful and
valuable to you in your development as a competent blind teacher.
I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone and brainstorm about techniques
if you would find that helpful, Valerie.

Below are my suggestions for how you can make this reading assessment, and
various other classroom tasks work for a blind teacher. I share with you
what I do myself.

This is the exact situation where I use a braille note taking device.
I put the book I'll be using with the student, or a portion of the book if
it's a long book, on my note taker. Often, the simplest way of doing this is
to have someone read the book to me while I'll actually type it in myself
before hand.
This way I am more familiar with the text when I'm having the student read
it to me.
I make a copy of the original text for each student I'm testing, so that I
can read along with each student and make notes as I go.
I have developed symbols for the various mistakes students make when
reading.
S, for substitution, r, for repeated word, h, for hesitation, m, for missed
word, k, for skipped line and so on.
I may also note the word that the student substituted.

In some situations, instead of a chosen book, I use reading fluency
development card sets, which are graded for each grade.
Reading fluency cards usually show the total number of words to be read, and
students are required to read the card for one minute. The average reader,
reading at grade level, should finish the card within one minute or very
close to one minute, with few or no errors. Each line on the card has the
number of words that a student will have read at the end of that line. If
they reach one minute having only read part of a line, one counts back from
the number shown at the end of that line and lists the number of words read
in one minute. One can also note reading errors during the reading.
I can use the recommended cards for readers in that grade, or if I know I'm
testing a struggling reader, I may use the cards for the grade below with
them to get an idea of how much they're behind.
I use the stopwatch utility on my braille note taker to time the reading,
although braille stopwatches are available, and iPhone apps are also an
alternative.

Since reading fluency cards are graded and level tested, suggesting that you
be permitted to use them may be a better strategy than just using a random
classroom book. An example of where this would be better than a random
classroom book is this. If a student is particularly interested in a
specific topic, such as soccer, horses, or surfing, then they will have
developed familiarity with a narrow set of specific vocabulary words. I have
often encountered this phenomenon with readers who have been labelled as
"slow" and, instead of being given appropriate reading instruction, they
have been given high interest, low vocabulary level readers.
Such a student will score an average or good score, if given the one-minute
test on such a reader. However, given a grade appropriate, reading fluency
card to read for a minute, you will get a much more realistic reading skills
assessment.
Since the reading fluency cards are each quite short, it would be very
realistic for you to get them on to your braille note taker.
These are just a couple of possibilities, recording would be another

Nevertheless, whatever text you use for your reading student, I believe that
a braille note taker is the blind classroom teacher's wonderful assistant.
Since it is portable, it can go with you wherever you go in the classroom.
You can make comments on the fly, access material students are reading,
record what you like, when you are in your own classroom of course, and
generally access information that you have planned for the day.
Lesson plans can easily be accessed and changed on the fly on your note
taker. You can even write comments about what you want to review and
extension ideas that arise out of the presented lesson. Notes on particular
student problems or issues can also be made for later attention.
You can give the correct answers to worksheets, present the spelling test,
give pop quizzes and a million more things, reading the material from your
braille note taker.

If you don't have a braille note taker, Valerie, I'd strongly encourage you
to apply for one through your Voc. Rehab. counsellor.
I'd be happy to help you put together a case for one to use in the classroom
if that would be helpful.
I hope I've given you some useful ideas and encouraged you in your student
teaching, Valerie.
I remember how hard it was when I walked this road and how helpful it was
when other teachers reminded me how different it would be when I got my own
classroom. Please don't hesitate to contact me off list if you'd like to
chat.

Warmly,
Heather Field