[nobe-l] Building Curricula to Train Teachers at a School for the Blind in Cameroon

Barbara Johnson xchange45 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:36:59 UTC 2018

Hello.  I am blind due to retinopathy of prematurity.  Because computers
didn't come along until I was in my thirties, and we couldn't use braillers
until high school, many of the skills I learned are skills that African
blind children still need.  I volunteer at a school for the blind in
Cameroon.  We need to build two programs:  an early childhood development
program and a resource room program that gradually includes students in
regular classes.  I am attaching an abstract that briefly describes what we
need to build.

At this stage I am chiefly concerned with skills training for teachers.  The
teachers are sighted, read braille only by sight, and have trouble
understanding experientially what blind children need to know.  They need
hands-on, skills oriented training to equip them to teach the children.  My
work experience involved teaching legally blind adults at a VA blind rehab
center, so I am comfortable teaching adults.  Although I know experientially
what children need, I am less comfortable teaching children and would
appreciate input about skills and curriculum building from people who have
trained teachers and/or children.

If anyone would like to Email me about this project off list, my Email
address is xchange45 at gmail.com <mailto:xchange45 at gmail.com> .  There is no
initial e in the word xchange. Thank you for any input you have.