[NOBE-L] Guide dogs in the classroom

Kathy goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 25 02:19:30 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have had a guide dog with me in the classroom since 1996. I put a bed behind my desk. Two of my dogs needed a tie down with the bed, and two of them have not because they were more settled. I never work him inside the classroom as I move around just fine without him, but if we are going to the library or somewhere else as a class, I do work him, usually following the line of students with a reliable student upfront. For fire drills, I have chosen to heal him and do cited guide with either a paraprofessional or the teacher next-door to me.We almost always know about fire drills ahead of time except for emergencies of course. For relief, I make sure he is all set in the morning, then at lunchtime, I take him out before I come back in and eat. He only goes out that one time at school. I work him down the hall and down the stairs for relief and also back into the building. I always use his guidance when I am going to the mail room, office, conference room, or other location in the building.

Grace and Peace,

Kathy Nimmer and Nacho

“No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.” - Author Unknown