[NOBE-L] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Report of United States Commission on Civil Rights

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Thu Sep 17 20:30:22 UTC 2020

 		 [1]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND APPLAUDS REPORT OF UNITED STATES
COMMISSION ON CIVIL RIGHTS

BALTIMORE, MARYLAND (SEPTEMBER 17, 2020): The National Federation of the
Blind, America's civil rights organization of the blind, issued the below
statement regarding a report from the United States Commission on Civil
Rights entitled _Subminimum Wages: Impacts on the Civil Rights of People
with Disabilities_ [2]:

"Ever since our founding eighty years ago, the National Federation of the
Blind has opposed the payment of subminimum wages to blind and disabled
Americans under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act," said Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "We commend
the report of the United States Commission on Civil Rights issued today and
applaud the Commission's call for the end of the antiquated and
discriminatory 14(c) program. While we will further review the report to
assess its details and recommendations, the Commission's work is a giant
step toward eliminating the historic injustice of subminimum wages and
creating true equality of opportunity for workers with disabilities. We
urge the general public to actively join us in standing against this
injustice and to work meaningfully toward its elimination from our local
communities."

###

ABOUT THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org [3].

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
 Director of Public Relations
 National Federation of the Blind
 (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
 (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
 cdanielsen at nfb.org

 		 [4]
 		 [5]
 		 [6]
 		 [7]

 		 [8]

 		 National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | 410-659-9314

 		 Unsubscribe [9] | Opt Out [10] | Sign Up for Our E-newsletter [11]

 		 ..

Links:
------
[1] https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=18478&qid=4148207