[NOBE-L] Running Records

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 22:04:15 UTC 2021

Hello Ruben,

I am a braille user.
This answer assumes that you are a braille reader. Apologies if not you didn’t indicate in your post.

I worked as a special ed. Resource teacher for a number of years and now run my own tutoring business.
I sometimes used to do running records when I was recommending reading intervention for a student and needed to convince other teachers it was necessary.
I don’t find them particularly helpful for a blind teacher since I don’t look over the test and observe the visual symbols, colours etc. For my own records. However, when it was necessary, I used the method below.

The way I do a running record is as follows:
I get the print material which the child is to read ahead of time, get it converted into an accessible format, such as a text document and emboss it in braille on the single-sided setting, on letter-size, light-weight braille paper, using double-line spacing. I will then be able to read along with the child in real time. I find it helpful to spiral bind the document to keep the pages neat and in order. I have had some blind colleagues who stack the unbound pages in readiness and simply flip them as they read, and again as they finish each page. That’s personal preference.
I prepare for the reading by placing a tactile drawing board under the first page and I use a stylus to mark the text, holding the stylus loosely with the fingers on my right hand as I read. You can practise this and it becomes quite easy. As the child reads, you can slip the drawing board under each new braille page.
I purchased the letter-size tactile drawing board from www.futureaids.com and it was very reasonably priced.

 This way, as the child makes errors, self-corrects etc. I mark this right on the text as it happens, only it’s in braille and I can read it. You can use the code they use in print or invent your own. Some tests use different colours for some error notations but, obviously, I don’t use them.
If I need to mark up a print copy of the test, E.G. for the student’s file or to present it to his classroom teacher, then I attend to that later, getting a sighted person to help me.
Recording the reading could be helpful, since you could recheck your original mark up afterwards. Since you are doing the task in real time, I can’t see how anyone can object. However, if you need to record and mark up the material later, I see no reason why that should be an issue, since you don’t need the results immediately because it isn’t your intention to make a reading intervention on the same day as you test. I would see that as a reasonable accommodation.
Hope this suggestion is helpful.
Warmly,
Heather Field