[Nyabs] Call for Student Papers: New Voices: Students Sharing Their Experiences with Disabilities

Kathryn Carroll carroll.kathryn.e at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:25:03 UTC 2012

Dear NYABS,

Disability Studies departments acknowledge that disability can be
studied in relation with all other areas of study. Has anyone here had
the opportunity to attend a Society for Disability Studies conference?

Below is a request for papers on the subject of your disability
experience. Figured some might be interested.

Kathryn

    Call for Student Papers: New Voices: Students Sharing Their
    Experiences with Disabilities

    Edited by Leila Monaghan and Alison Quaggin Introduction by Michelle
    Jarman

    One of the most important aspects of teaching Disability Studies is
    how we empower our students with disabilities or those with close
    connections to people with disabilities to speak about their
    experiences in thoughtful and reflective ways. This is a call for
    short chapters from students (traditional and non-traditional)
    writing about their own experiences with disabilities including how
    their views have been changed by Disability Studies scholarship. We
    are looking for a diverse range of papers reflecting all kinds of
    disabilities from urban, suburban and rural perspectives. Topics
    will include (but are not limited to) living with physical, sensory
    and mental disabilities; disabilities and the family; and
    disabilities at school and in workplace including the impact of
    disabilities on military members and their families; and the impact
    of technology on the lives of people with disabilities. Papers
    should be written in a clear, accessible and personal style. The
    book is intended to for use in introductory Disability Studies
    classes to fill the gap between single individual memoirs and formal
    textbooks. If you are a student interested in participating or have
    a student paper you wish to suggest for submission, please drop a
    note to Leila at Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com
    <mailto:Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com> as soon as possible. Papers should
    be 5-15 pages. Papers are due May 15, 2012 at
    Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com <mailto:Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com> but we
    are happy to comment on draft versions or abstracts of papers. We
    will notify participants of official acceptance some time in June.

    Leila Monaghan Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com
    <mailto:Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com>

    Wyoming Institute for Disabilities (WInD)

    University of Wyoming Disability Studies University of Maryland,
    University College (UMUC)