[Oagdu] funny service animal laws

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Thu Aug 13 17:31:12 UTC 2015

Here is just a piece of the legislation.  It goes on and on and on.

(a) The practice or policy of discrimination against individuals or
groups by reason of their race, color, familial status, religious
creed, ancestry,
age, sex, national origin, handicap or disability, use of guide or
support animals because of the blindness, deafness or physical
handicap of the user
or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide
animals is a matter of concern of the Commonwealth. Such
discrimination foments domestic
strife and unrest, threatens the rights and privileges of the
inhabitants of the Commonwealth, and undermines the foundations of a
free democratic state.
The denial of equal employment, housing and public accommodation
opportunities because of such discrimination, and the consequent
failure to utilize the
productive capacities of individuals to their fullest extent, deprives
large segments of the population of the Commonwealth of earnings
necessary to maintain
decent standards of living, necessitates their resort to public relief
and intensifies group conflicts, thereby resulting in grave injury to
the public
health and welfare, compels many individuals to live in dwellings
which are substandard, unhealthful and overcrowded, resulting in
racial segregation in
public schools and other community facilities, juvenile delinquency
and other evils, thereby threatening the peace, health, safety and
general welfare
of the Commonwealth and its inhabitants.

(b) It is hereby declared to be the public policy of this Commonwealth
to foster the employment of all individuals in accordance with their
fullest capacities
regardless of their race, color, religious creed, ancestry, age, sex,
national origin, handicap or disability, use of guide or support
animals because
of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because
the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, and to
safeguard their
right to obtain and hold employment without such discrimination, to
assure equal opportunities to all individuals and to safeguard their
rights to public
accommodation and to secure housing accommodation and commercial
property regardless of race, color, familial status, religious creed,
ancestry, age, sex,
national origin, handicap or disability, use of guide or support
animals because of blindness or deafness of the user or because the
user is a handler
or trainer of guide or support animals.

(c) This act shall be deemed an exercise of the police power of the
Commonwealth for the protection of the public welfare, prosperity,
health and peace
of the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The part I think is funny is all of the consequences listed if the
"commonwealth" fails to do the things listed.  I think that is how all
PA legislation is written.  It sounds good but I doubt PA is any
better than any other state.

On 8/13/15, Deanna Lewis via Oagdu <oagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Marianne,
> Can you paste the law so that we can all be amused??? LOL
> Deanna

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053