[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: WHAT DOES THE APOSTLE PAUL MEAN WHEN HE SAYS HE WOULD RATHER BE “ABSENT FROM THE BODY” AND “PRESENT WITH THE LORD”?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Thu Jul 15 14:54:30 UTC 2021

WHAT DOES THE APOSTLE PAUL MEAN WHEN HE SAYS HE WOULD RATHER BE “ABSENT FROM THE BODY” AND “PRESENT WITH THE LORD”?
July 15, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 minutes

In verses 1–8, Paul is simply comparing our present mortal state with our future immortal life in heaven. He is showing us the difference between our earthly bodies that will someday perish and the new, perfect bodies that will be ours in heaven. Notice the expressions he uses for the two conditions:

- earthly house building from God

- this tent house not made with hands

- mortality our house which is from heaven

- in the body absent from the body

- absent from the Lord present with the Lord

The idea of being “absent from the body” does not teach that some immaterial part of us instantly floats up into heaven at the moment of death. It means to be absent from the infirmities of our earthly bodies, such as disease, sickness, and death. To be present with the Lord means to have our glorious immortal bodies that we’ll receive when Jesus comes.

Because we have no consciousness of time in death, it is true that for the believer, following the moment of death, their next conscious thought is inhabiting his or her glorified body. But that does not happen until the return of Christ and the resurrection.

Indeed, Paul is very clear precisely when the change from mortality will take place. In 1 Corinthians 15:52, 53, he writes, “For the trumpet will sound … and this mortal must put on immortality.” That will happen when Jesus comes.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:"
"(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)"
"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."
2 Corinthians 5:6-8

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)