[Ohio-talk] Fw: College Textbook Affordability Acts

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Thu Feb 19 16:51:40 UTC 2009

Hi All,
This is not aimed at you, Robby.
I was just wondering if High School and College Students are experiencing the opportunity to work with a reader. It takes some skill to work with a reader. You have to know what you need read, how to get the most of the reader's time and how to get the reader to do the things you need when reading. For example, you need to get the Reader to read things to you without Editing unless you specifically tell the person to oit certain things. You also need to get them to describe graphs and read Figures in a text.
There are times when a Reader is the only option. For example, you might be working somewhere and need quick info to handle whatever you are doing. You also might have things handed to you which are handwritten and need to be read.
I just hope that with the Accessible textbooks etc. we are still training blind people in the use of readers.
Some mail comes in fonts that are not user-friendly for Adaptive Equipment. Some people just do not have that equipment.
Let's have as much accessibility as possible and still encourage good use of readers when required.
Colleen Roth