[Ohio-talk] Fw: College Textbook Affordability Acts

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:16:02 UTC 2009

Thank you all for your advice and words.  I am going to schedule a
meeting with several people from the office of accessibility--older,
professionals and not a bunch of students who don't care--to get this
settled.  Sorry if some of my messages sounded harsh but I am going to
be direct about this and, for the long run, I will accept nothing less
than an accessible copy of all of my books.

Barbara Pierce wrote:
> I don't think anyone is saying settle for readers, but we are also saying
> don't settle for always having to wait for an accessible form of the text.
> Yes, they should be available. But the student is the only one who loses
> when the book is not there and he or she does not have access to alternative
> methods of getting at the material. It becomes a matter of cutting off one's
> nose to spite one's face when the student is the only one who loses if the
> publisher does not come through in time. Again, that is not to say that we
> shouldn't fight for the accessible texts. We should, and in fact, we are.
> Barbara

Robert Spangler
The University of Toledo
Student Senate - Recording Secretary