[Ohio-talk] Video Opp to Share Your Faith - and Some Truths

vfugate at woh.rr.com vfugate at woh.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 20:58:32 UTC 2010

	It is my opinion that this post should be posted on "Faith Talk"
only since "Ohio Talk" is a general forum of members of the NFB which is a
secular organization that does not condone or promote anyone faith, or
non-faith beliefs.

	It is my personal opinion that religious faith holds us back from
reaching our full potential as human beings, and when it comes to dealing
with blindness, and disabilities.  I personally don't believe that any god
made me blind, and I do believe that the blind can lead the blind.

	I do know that many believe that their faith has helped them, and I
know that it seems that way sometimes.  However, I do know, and I have seen
this many times, that religious faith does often cause people to condemn
others that are different from themselves when it does come to matters of
faith, blindness, and disabilities.  Faith also fools people into believing
that they will be healed of their blindness as I have seen far too often in
others, and in my own family.  If religious faith really lived up to its
claims then we would not need the NFB, or medical science.

	Even if someone does believe something has helped them does not
necessarily make it true; that's why it's called faith.

	One major reason I am posting my "opinion" here is that I have seen
far to often in the NFB, and the Braille Monitor one or more persons
promoting one ideology of faith most of the time as if they are the
majority, or only one that matters when it comes to faith.  Furthermore, I
have seen too many good potential members leave the NFB because they have
been discriminated because of their beliefs, or lack of beliefs.

	That's just my opinion, and I don't think the NFB should support, or
promote any one thing of any one particular religion.  Even if it may seem
positive, or inspiring unless it can be proven to be absolutely true, and if
you can do that then you no longer need faith.