[Ohio-talk] cane travel instruction

Barb Fohl barbfohl at pobox.com
Wed Jun 22 21:24:10 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I received a call from Angie, social worker at Arcadia Acres Nursing Home in Logan, Ohio.  A gentleman living there would like cane travel instruction and has tried BSVI and MRDD, as well as the Southeast Sight Center in Lancaster.  Susan from the Sight Center has provided him with orientation to the building and the staff with in service training, but she doesn't know cane instruction.

He was blinded because of a stroke but does not have any paralysis.  When I asked Angie if he just wanted to learn to use a cane to enhance his abilities to get around the building, she said that the plan is for him to go home.  I asked if she thought he wanted to learn to travel safely outside, to cross streets, Etc., and she said she didn't know, but she thought that might be a possibility.

I told her I didn't have any other ideas, but that I would ask my friends, and that I would sent our pamphlet "The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane".  Please contact me off line at the following email address:  barbfohl at pobox.com if you live near Logan and think you could be helpful, or give me ideas I may share with Angie that I didn't think of.-Barb