[Ohio-talk] OUR NFB FAMILY

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Mon Nov 12 13:32:07 UTC 2012

As the president of Ohio NAPUB, I guess I had better stick my oar into this
discussion. Milena, your analogy  seems a bit forced. We are talking about
retiring nine contractions out of something over 200. That is hardly similar
to a drunken brawl of a family reunion. It is maybe more like a bottle of
wine or six-pack of beer appearing at a big reunion. You are not required to
get drunk, just not fling a fit if a few adults enjoy a drink. NAPUB has had
nothing to do with bringing this change about. That is the job of BANA, and
BANA made the decision they did. Readers of contracted Braille will perhaps
notice that a few words are written differently. The dropped j to mean by is
one that  I recall. That loss will not blot out the sun for me. The decision
to preserve Nemeth code seems far more important, and I have to trust that
the math and science folks know what they are talking about when they
advocate this one. I will continue to use Braille and trust that those who
spend their professional lives working with and thinking about issues
surrounding Braille are in a better position than I am to pick our path
across the Braille mine field. Milena's passionate response to this very
small change demonstrates just how much people care about the code.

I may not be so calm if the day comes when , as Kevin Kerry advocates, we do
away with contracted Braille altogether. I have heard more than one expert
with data to support the contention say that uncontracted Braille can be
read as fast and by many more people. Can't you just hear the warring over
that issue now?

Barbara