[Ohio-talk] Comment on an error that was posted to this list

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 18:07:23 UTC 2013

I think it is important to note since convention is coming up in a matter of
weeks now that one of the major points of convention is to address concerns
or to see what we as an organization can do to fix these problems.  There
are several things regarding blindness that are not perfect, but we can
never address the concerns an NFB member might have about them if those
concerns are not brought to our attention and the attention of the person
representing the thing or organization with the problem in question.  In
fact, convention gives us the opportunity not to just share information
amongst other members to make sure our concerns are valid, but it also gives
us the chance to ask speakers about these issues directly.  It happened last
year with the speaker from BSVI and the state Voc Rehab program, as well as
with a few other speakers if I remember correctly.  I would encourage you to
not shy away from speakers you don't like.  Listen to what they have to say,
then if you feel there is a problem that needs to be addressed ask them
about it.  That is the only way to start things in motion and get things
fixed.

Personally as someone who has grown up with CABVI and who has served in a
volunteer capacity for a number of years there, I think they do a pretty
good job of hiring blind people for their industries program.  CABVI seems
to have a very positive philosophy on blindness and believes that if given
the proper training blind people can be independent.  That is why they have
their industries program, and why their employees in it have not been paid
subminimum wages for well over a decade.  It is also why some of the people
in the industries program have chosen to participate in some of the other
programs CABVI offers.  I know a few participate in the music program, where
they are taught leisure skills including playing the guitar, singing, and
how to play other musical instruments.

Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton---2016
Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet
Ohio Association of Blind Students, Secretary
NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair
Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma, Usher Coordinator
UD Music Therapy Club