[Ohio-talk] Ohio-talk Digest, Vol 66, Issue 7

Vincent Fugate vincentf2872 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 21:33:26 UTC 2013

So are you able to tell me where the bus stops are, or give me a description
of the campus?  I'm sure once I am there for a couple of days I won't have
problems getting around also, but can it be done is not what I was asking.
I am asking for directions, and I think this is no different than a sighted
person asking for directions.  I also think it would be fun to know if there
are also other NFB members there.

                Tri C does seem to have a good disability department, but
they don't have everything I need such as a Braille display, and they don't
provide O&M, but I will be asking BSVI for that as soon as I re-open my case
next week.  Hopefully things will work out better this time around with BSVI
because they did not do much good for me the last time I went to college.  I
was hoping to do everything without the help of BSVI via the Sight Center.

Miss Fisher has given me a lot of good ideas about BSVI, and some other
issues I have so I am feeling a lot better about things now.

                I still think that in this case it is better to get a
sighted guide (O&M).  Part of being independent is also knowing when to ask,
or accept for help.  I don't want to be stumbling around looking like I have
no clue as to where I am going.  I think that would just feed peoples
stereotypes about blind people.  It will make a better impression if it
looks like I know where I am going.  There is a NFB article I believed is
titled "Independence"  that discusses what I am talking about.  However, I
am still amazed at what some of you say about getting out on your own.  I
wonder how many people have actually done this, or are we just exaggerating
a little?

                It may also help to know that I love taking RTA fixed
routes, but I have had a lot of trouble finding bus stops  even when I do
ask bus drivers, or people on the streets.  I am often given bad
information, and that has put me in some dangerous situations since I've
been here in Cleveland.  I also find it more helpful if I can find a fellow
NFB member who already knows how to get around.  The Dayton, and Cincinnati
chapter is very good at this, at least when I was there, but I have not met
anyone in the Cleveland chapter yet that likes to take the fixed routs as
much as I'd like to.